Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Let's talk tires ( again!)

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The longest lasting truck tire was Michelin LTX M/S, I routinely got 80,000+ out of a set. One time I got 100,000 miles, but they don't last that long anymore.

it is all a game semi truck tires get 100,000 or more easily
Agreed. Maybe not their steer tires, but those drive tires pretty well just roll the miles. Our sweeper trucks are Isuzu and we scrub tread off turning at slow speeds all night. We found a tire that works "okay" in regards to extending the life but I promise you they suck in other categories. Just got to find the compromise to fit your personal needs.

I've heard great things about Michelin truck tires too. Just not sure they would serve my needs.

I'm still baffled at J's misfortune here. Head scratcher.

Reactions: finelyshedded

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The longest lasting truck tire was Michelin LTX M/S, I routinely got 80,000+ out of a set. One time I got 100,000 miles, but they don't last that long anymore.

it is all a game semi truck tires get 100,000 or more easily
These are the MS/2 version. 70k mile rating.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just ask my buddy who drives a semi, he gets 150,000 out of steer tires and 250,000 out of drive and trailer tires. That shows that they can make tires last longer if they wanted to
No kidding? I'll take your word for it. That is better than I would have ever thought.

P8riot

Carbon, In
all 4 had loose valve cores.
I got new tires for both my vehicles and my trailer before I left AZ. Slowly but surely my valve cores have loosened. I have never in my life have valve cores leak. I have had 4 in the last month. They arent leaking initially and when i check pressure then they start. I had to buy the valve core tool. Never needed it before.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
@Clay Showalter has me really leaning toward those Michelins. My front end guy always says Michelin. I've never thought the tread pattern was very "all terrain". They are rated very high for snow. My main mowing truck has been eating tires. Under 20k per set. Mostly because it is a bunch of slow speed turning and backing into places. It needs to plow snow too. The Toyo that Dave shared looks good but I'm not dropping over $1600. Can't do it. M/S or A/T might be the next question. A/T had longer tread warranty and tick higher snow rating so I'm leaning that way. Clay said M/s though so I'll listen to all input here

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The tire rotation (surface area) is much larger on a semi. So it takes less rotations to go a mile. They are also not made for comfort.
Yea. And also, what does a semi tire cost in comparison to a normal commuter or light truck tire? Big difference.

I’ve been more than impressed with BFG. My TA KO2’s (2nd set) are rolling past 70k miles again, just like the first set. E-range tires… 275-75-18’s… basically 33”. I’m in need of a new set and I’m having a hard time stomaching the cost, seeing as my truck is now pushing 180k miles and is covered in rust. I have no plans of getting rid of the truck, so I might as well just pony-up I suppose.

Reactions: MoonLab

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Tires were still inflated properly this morning…. Little hiccup in the scheme of things…. My issue with wear on tires, always seems too be coming into wintertime. They’d be good for another spring and summer, but with travel too and from Ohio throughout winter, it’s just not practical….

Reactions: Big_Holla and giles
Finally put new rubber on the truck today. Seeing how Dave and others liked them (we looked at a few brands) we decided on the Toyo tires. They look pretty damn nice!

1665780835289.jpeg

1665780939448.jpeg