Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jesse's 2012-2013 Hunting Log

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I just about sealed the deal tonight it true Redneck fashion! lmao

As I was about to pull in to my driveway tonight, I noticed two deer feeding under the cherry trees in our back yard. Rather than pull in and spook them, I drove on up to the neighbors access road that runs along our property line and parked the truck. I slipped in the house through the front door, grabbed my bow and rangefinder, then went up stairs to get a range from the back bedroom window. After ranging the deer and seeing one was a good doe, I went outside and snuck around to the back corner of the house. Both deer were still there feeding in the yard just on the edge of the thicket they bed in. (My house is surrounded on 3 sides by thicket. We own just less than 3 acres, but the woods that we own is part of a 1,000 acre block of woods. So while these deer are in my back yard, it ain't exactly easy pickens.)

I was about to come to full draw when a doe busted out of the pine thicket on the other side of our place and spooked the two I was watching. Just as they ran off and I thought all was lost, I realized the monster doe I have been seeing was staring at me from 40 yards just inside the brush line. She was briefly distracted by the neighbor's roosters, so I came to full draw and slowly began creeping to the side so I could get the angle I needed. I was just about the touch one off when she snorted and ran off!!!

I'm telling you guys, this is the biggest doe I have ever seen! I have no doubts she is 200+ on the hoof. You could put a 140" rack on her head and it wouldn't look out of place. She has the body of an obviously mature buck!!!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Good weekend of hunting at Strouds allowed me to add some buck sightings to the list! I also snuck out last night at my parents and saw 3 does. I could have shot the medium sized one, but held out for the big bitch in the back and never got a shot. Still a fun hunt!

Does Sightings: 13
Bucks Sightings: 5
Different Bucks: 5
Shooters Seen: 2
Total Sightings: 18

Deer Killed: 0
Arrow'd Squirrels: 0

Morning Hunts: 2
Evening Hunts: 5
All Day Sits: 0
Skunked Hunts: 0
Total Hunts: 7

Hours on Stand: 15

Average Time Per Hunt: 2 hours and 8 minutes.
Deer Seen Per Hour on Stand: 1.2

Stands/Blinds Hunted: 5
Properties Hunted: 3

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've been pouring over the maps of my hunting grounds since I came back from Strouds! It was weird being on the farm last night because I had a new perspective on everything! Hunting those big open hardwoods where the terrain dominates the movement more than food or cover, it really put some ideas in my head on places I need to reevaluate. I really feel the next 3-4 weeks will be the best hunting I have had in years, maybe ever. I just identified one new spot on the new farm I picked up this year that should be killer. With any luck, I will be able to sneak in there this weekend and pick a spot to set up and maybe hang a cam.

Good times are coming!!! :smiley_carnaval:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I spent an hour strategizing in my gun stand tonight. The plan is to spend tomorrow in the wind and rain moving cams and scouting. It's going to be a crap day to hunt here, but it's perfect for what I need to do!

I'm more pumped for tomorrow's missions than I am to hunt just yet!

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
Why aren't you gonna hunt? Its supposed to be done raining between 6-7am here. I'm hunting... My plan is to take the boss buck and get it set up and try and rattle in a big boy.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I live on the opposite side of the state. We have forecasted 15-20 mph winds and rain nearly all day. I'll hunt the morning if it hasn't started raining yet, then use the perfect conditions to do the things I need to do. I have 3 cams on a property I don't want to leave them on, and one spot I'd like to see before I go in blind. I'm not going to get a better day for it...

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Good luck moving stuff around tomorrow Jesse. I'm likely gonna hang some sticks tomorrow for next week's hunts, and finish pulling all my cams before I head off to work.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good luck this weekend and definitely take your bow like the guys said. You never know. I think I will get up early, take care of school stuff and kid b-day party drop offs, and follow that up with shopping for a crossbow and picking up kids. Maybe Sunday I will go chase trespassers off my property.

Can you tell I am jealous?:smiley_crocodile:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I made it out for an hour this morning before the rain started in for the day. Saw a small 8 this morning who was just wondering through. I would have had a shot at what I believe was a doe at first light had it not been so overcast. It was still TOO dark to tell at legal light what it was, but I know it was a deer.

After the rain started, I spent the better part of the morning checking cameras, moving them, and scouting. I located 4 stand sites I am excited to hunt, with one being almost TOO good to be true on the new farm I picked up this summer. I found the rubs below in a bowl that dumps in to some nasty thick stuff. The tree I picked offers some great shots, and a better view. Had it not started raining, I would have went in there tonight. It was shaping up to be an awesome evening as it was only misting, but it started pouring as I was about to leave the house. Looks like it will have to wait until morning.

I also got more pictures of Jack in a new area of our farm that is set up for an ambush. He has been keeping tabs on a group of does that stay in a 2 acre thicket on the south end of our farm. I was able to locate a tree on a hogsback trail that he is using when he goes in there. Just one more data point in the constant process!!!

Does Sightings: 13
Bucks Sightings: 6
Different Bucks: 6
Shooters Seen: 2
Total Sightings: 19

Deer Killed: 0
Arrow'd Squirrels: 0

Morning Hunts: 3
Evening Hunts: 5
All Day Sits: 0
Skunked Hunts: 0
Total Hunts: 8