Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

WTB ISO a ar 10 in 243

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Looks familiar

uploadfromtaptalk1425595558590.jpg

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Yes. Just little differences from yours. Same barrel and that is what counts. I get down to .5" groups with reloads.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Right now I just have a old cheap BSA 4x18. I'm looking into a vortex or luepold eventually. My play money is cut short right now do too we are getting ready to gut our kitchen down to the studs and remodel the whole thing. But in time it will get a good optic on it.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Pick your bullet and do a ladder test. Right now I am using 55gr Vmax with 24.5grains of TAC.

Okay thanks I have plenty of the VMAX in 50 and 55s too stuff . I shoot them in my other br rifles. And I figured they would shoot good in the ar also. But wasn't real sure what powders too look at. Thanks again.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've never seen a rifle that wouldn't shoot Vmax bullets. I took a tour of the Hornady plant and seen the Vmax bullet making machine. Quite the show. Since we are a Hornady Dist. we got a VIP tour.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I've never seen a rifle that wouldn't shoot Vmax bullets. I took a tour of the Hornady plant and seen the Vmax bullet making machine. Quite the show. Since we are a Hornady Dist. we got a VIP tour.

Yea I truly haven't either. It may take a little dickering with the seating depth or powder but they plain out shoot.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Same could be said of Nosler an Sierra in my camp.

The only truly crappy stuff has been Winchester and Remington bagged stuff.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Same could be said of Nosler an Sierra in my camp.

The only truly crappy stuff has been Winchester and Remington bagged stuff.

I also agree with that statement. I used to shoot a lot of sierra blitz king and sxsp. Till the VMAX came out. And I've also never had much luck with rem or win. It boils down to the old adage you get what you pay for.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
The .224 Winchester JHP's were absolute crap. No matter the rifle....4moa or larger.

lol yep same goes for the soft points. I ended owning a rifle thanks too those junk bullets. A guy I knew had a savage 110 that he ccouldn't get too shoot less then a 2'' group at fifty. He couldn't believe it was the bullets so he said the gun was junk. I offered him 100 bucks and I owned it. I brung it home loaded a load of accurate arms 2460 and a match king hollow point and it did dime size groups all day long. I ended up making 300 bucks on those junk bullets and another mans stupidity lol.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The .224 Winchester JHP's were absolute crap. No matter the rifle....4moa or larger.

The Hornady 50gr Vmax was too fast and light out of my 20'' 1/8 twist. It was all over the place. I've been shooting some Hornady match 63 gr BTHP and they're half MOA without trying hard.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
The Hornady 50gr Vmax was too fast and light out of my 20'' 1/8 twist. It was all over the place. I've been shooting some Hornady match 63 gr BTHP and they're half MOA without trying hard.
Depends on the bullet design if I can go below 55 grains or not. Also, mine is an 18" so that makes it handle the lighter bullets a tad better. The best accuracy comes from 69gr Sierra Match Kings and Nosler Custom Comps but they are not hunting bullets.