Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I'm going to take the plunge.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Didn't have a hangfire but I couldn't keep the priming powder dry. It snowed enough that by lunch the plowed ground was white and by 2 the ground in the woods was white. I set the flintlock aside at lunch time and finished the day with the Encore.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Sam,
Find yourself a piece of leather bigger than a sandwitch, smaller than a chair seat and cut it with a knoch at the top so the knotch sits around or under the rear sight. It should drape over the lock and pan to keep the random snow flake out. Wax or oil the leather on the smoth side to help repel water and snow. After years of dealing with what you described, I came up with this. It works like a charm and still allows QUICK axcess if you get to swing up on something.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I bet it does a good job on that Vetterli! I have seen thinks like that, I just didn't plan ahead enough. Tried to do the same thing with a plastic bag but it didn't work well and was noisy.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Noisy and slippery. The leather is solid and if the rough side is on the inside---No Slip.
The leather is used on the Thompson. The Vetterli was much closer...

Dam Sam. Busted me on the Vetterli. lol Good Eye.
The flint lock was buried in the back but wanted to illustrate.

Last edited:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Dam.
Can't believe you caught that. lol
What was it. the rear sight or the checkering?

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
The square checkering was the hint, I knew what you were doing, just havin a little fun with ya. The leather is a great idea and I'll be better prepared by ML season in January. In my defense the weatherman said it was going to be dry this weekend(the lying bastard)

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I'll see what the weather is like in the AM. (ain't I the dedicated rock locker?)

I wanted to ask you if it felt "different" carrying that flint lock hunting?

I built my 50 cal from a kit over 30 years ago. I have carried it many of those years in NE -lake effect snow belt- Ohio weather and tried some pretty stupid stuff... (but we won't go there tonight.)*note to self;sparkomatic... bad investment.good campfire story .
and occasionally have found a couple of tricks that really help. Even tried a gadget from the back of a BP magazine that was a rubber boot that "broke away" from the pan and lock area it covered when ready to shoot. (Fail)
Just use a random hunk of leather. I found cutting the notch out helped keep the leather from working its way off or twisting when carried. Loosely wrapped, will still allow cold winter in around the pan so it doesn't warm up or create any condensation to affect the charge. I preferred to use a oil rub to water proof. (however I may have tried some "Snow Seal" on it once)

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I wanted to ask you if it felt "different" carrying that flint lock hunting?

At first but as the snow became more of an issue I found myself fiddling with the rifle instead of paying attention. When I'm deer hunting I like to keep focused on my surroundings, too often the chances I get are pretty fleeting.

FredT

SE Ohio
During the 1776 Rev War the English prayed for rain and the Colonists prayed for sun shine. The English were much much better with the bayonet.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I did some reading online and guys that hunt in damp weather prefer 3f powder for priming, I was using 4f. They claim the courser powder doesn't absorb moisture as quickly.

A bayonet is probably a good idea too!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I did some reading online and guys that hunt in damp weather prefer 3f powder for priming, I was using 4f. They claim the courser powder doesn't absorb moisture as quickly.

A bayonet is probably a good idea too!

Got something too throw at them after the hang fire????? :smiley_clap:

FredT

SE Ohio
If you practice enough you learn to deal well with the hang fire. I have a bunch of old cupronickel .303 Brit ammo that hand fires worse than any flinters that I have fired. We called it flint lock ammo it was so bad.