Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I had to laugh...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! howed ya guess? And its so old, Im still using the same stuff and it still comes off easy with LOTION!! but I actually think I bought more at Ft. Rucker

A compact just sounded like something they would do at Jackson.. I bet you had port-a-Johns in the field too. And showers and toilets with stalls. Dang, we poor bastards at benning got screwed. Lol. Ole relaxin Jackson. Lol..

Come on hoot. Tell us about the old days.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Still not as easy as Ft Sam Houston in TX. All the medics went there and from what i heard it was like a resort. I went to Ft Leonard Wood, MO for basic and saw both extremes. 100 degrees the first two weeks I was there and below zero the last two. I left Ft Leonard Wood to hit Ft Jackson for AIT. Oh my gosh! Talk about laid back. It was a different world there.

Ironically, the "hunter" Jesse is describing sounds a lot like a "PX soldier". Head to the PX and fill the cart with all the goodies and next thing you know, we got us a real GI Joe here folks!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Still not as easy as Ft Sam Houston in TX. All the medics went there and from what i heard it was like a resort. I went to Ft Leonard Wood, MO for basic and saw both extremes. 100 degrees the first two weeks I was there and below zero the last two. I left Ft Leonard Wood to hit Ft Jackson for AIT. Oh my gosh! Talk about laid back. It was a different world there.

Ironically, the "hunter" Jesse is describing sounds a lot like a "PX soldier". Head to the PX and fill the cart with all the goodies and next thing you know, we got us a real GI Joe here folks!

I got the pleasure of attending basic at 1st 38t infantry Ft Benning Ga in the months June, July, and August... We we're supposed to go to Ft Jackson but the barracks there were full as others were undergoing renovations. So we got the pleasure of being the first ever non-infantry basic training soldiers to attend basic at Ft Benning. Needless to say we we're not welcomed by our Drill Sergeants and they made no qualms about letting us know it.. They were out to make sure the Army never used Benning as an overflow basic training base for non infantry soldiers... When we got to AIT at Ft Gordon we told others about our basic and they just sat there wide eyed.. lol..

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I got the pleasure of attending basic at 1st 38t infantry Ft Benning Ga in the months June, July, and August... We we're supposed to go to Ft Jackson but the barracks there were full as others were undergoing renovations. So we got the pleasure of being the first ever non-infantry basic training soldiers to attend basic at Ft Benning. Needless to say we we're not welcomed by our Drill Sergeants and they made no qualms about letting us know it.. They were out to make sure the Army never used Benning as an overflow basic training base for non infantry soldiers... When we got to AIT at Ft Gordon we told others about our basic and they just sat there wide eyed.. lol..

Sounds familiar. Ft Leonard Wood basic was mainly combat engineers and had maybe half a dozen medics, a dozen truck drivers, and another 10-12 mechanics. Let's just say they were pretty well focused on the majority of the guys being 12B. Get to Ft Jackson and they had talk of some sort of card like a "Get out of jail free" card. Can't remember what they called them, but it was pretty sissified. Can't remember where it was, but someplace even tried to mix male and females in basic training. I have NO idea how this could have ever worked out. Sorry Saddlepants. Nothing against women. They have their place in the military. I am just not sure combat is one of them. The females we had in with us at AIT were FAR from what I would consider capable in the event of me relying on them to drag my butt out if we were ever in combat. There was one exception. She was as tough as most any of the guys. She even chewed tobacco and believe it or not was not a bad looker either. She was certainly an exception to the other females we had in there.

Schu72

Streetsboro
hahaha.

---
Jesse, as an experienced sportsman you watched him purchase all that stuff...and you didn't encourage him to get an Acorn Cruncher? Come 'on bro! Encourage the sport! And how's he gonna kill a deer without that.

And don't forget the "deerview" mirror. You don't want one sneaking up from behind you!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
hahaha.

---
Jesse, as an experienced sportsman you watched him purchase all that stuff...and you didn't encourage him to get an Acorn Cruncher? Come 'on bro! Encourage the sport! And how's he gonna kill a deer without that.

HA. What's funny is I picked one up to play with and started laughing. Said to myself: "This guy really needs one of these. I should sneak it in his cart when he ain't looking!" lmao

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
lmao I thought you guys were kidding about an Acorn Cruncher :smiley_confused_vra So it is real? lmao

DUDE! It works!... Especially on years where the oaks didn't produce.. Sit on a barren oak flat and crunch away.. All the deer will come running thinking a deer finally found a producing oak... I swear to god it will man... State law.