Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Honey bees

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Figured I'd revive / add to this thread!

I haven't posted much in a while, but to try and make a long story short, the farm I have had access to/hunted for the past 25 years was sold in the spring. So upon a few friends of mine hearing that, they asked me if I would like to come help them at their farms. They have a few farms of varied habitat, and they have several hives spread across them. Well yesterday was my first experience with bees. I was helping my buddy Larry check one of his hives when the hive right next to it swarmed. They ended up in a tree real close by, so I got some video of us catching the swarm. Pretty cool to see.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Very cool!

My sister falls on the "greenie" side of the habitat conservation spectrum, but still respects hunting due to her upbringing and understanding/acceptance of the fact that we should know where our food comes from. She's wanted to get into bees for a while and finally took the plunge this year. Her first hive died within weeks, but this hive appears to be thriving. She has a "bee mentor" who recently passed and these bees came from his hives. I watched several return to the hive loaded with pollen yesterday, which was cool to see as I recognize the importance of their work. With the recent passing of my wife's grandfather, who was also a beekeeper, my sister will likely be the recipient of his processing equipment and the thoughts of getting honey off The Farm with No Name is exciting!

IMG_20210606_165010_971.jpg

Buckmaster

Portage
I’d like to find a bee keeper to manage my home 19 acres. I called a couple County bee keeping groups but yet to find any willing participants. I just want some pollination of my gardens and orchards. I don’t need another hobby.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I’d like to find a bee keeper to manage my home 19 acres. I called a couple County bee keeping groups but yet to find any willing participants. I just want some pollination of my gardens and orchards. I don’t need another hobby.
I can post on the NE Ohio beekeepers group if you want me to. I'm too far away personally.

Great to see the other experiences. We're north of 20 hives at the moment but will cut back bergen now and fall. Looking at the spring honey harvest weekend of Father's day.

Reactions: Iowa_Buckeye

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
I had honey bee hives for years and helped my grandpa with his when i was a kid. Got stung a few times a year in the process then dang i had a bad reaction to a sting. I went thru a series of shots trying to build immunity to honey bee venom but it didn't work. I had to give up bee keeping. Dang

• Wow
Reactions: Big_Holla