Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Honda Foreman won't stay running

Jamie

Ohio
I don't know crap about ATV's. Mine suffers from lack of use more than anything else. I started it a couple of times over the winter just to charge the battery and such. I went to actually use the damn thing yesterday and had to charge the fucking battery to start it. Once I got it started I let it idle for a couple of minutes then pulled out of the garage to hook up my cart. Died. Struggled to get it started again. Once running I tried to take it for a spin around the yard made it about 200 yards going as fast as I could go, then it died again. Started, run for less than 30 seconds, stall. did this four times before I gave up. Checked the air filter and looked over everything that I could see and nothing was out of place except for a couple of mouse nests. Full of gas with stabilizer in it.

Today I went out to the garage to get the weed whacker and curiosity got the best of me. It started right up. I let it idle for about 20 minutes, revving it up every few minutes. Idled fine. Drove a couple laps around the yard accelerating as much as I could and slowing down quickly to see if could stall it again. Nope. Ran like a champ.

Something in the carb that found it's way out by running a bit? Moisture? I ain't got a clue, but I sure would like to know what was going on there.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Probably just from sitting. But it may have a low oil pressure cutout that the wire may have been nicked by a mouse? I’d say roun it until it won’t run anymore. At that point it’ll definitely be able to figure it out.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Honda quads are notorious for being finicky with fuel and the fuel system. If yours has a petcock assembly for On/Off on the fuel, those are prone to gumming up and playing into the issue. We had issues with our Rancher running rich and flooding plugs once. Seems like a normal Honda experience to me :ROFLMAO:

(Spoken as a lifelong Honda lover!)

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Most likely either gummed up carb or the diaphragm/seals dried out. When you got it cranked that got fresh gas in the carb. Took a while for everything to lube up and loosen up once the gas got in it. I used to turn the pitcock off and let the quad run until died from no more gas. Stopped doing it after I had to rebuild the carb because all the seals and stuff dry rotted. Guy who rebuilt it told me to keep gas in the carb. Said best thing to do is put stabilizer in it then run it for a while so stabilizer gets in carb.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sounds like you sucked some contaminated fuel or deteriorating rubber into the carburetor, then it worked itself out. Definitely don’t rely completely on fuel stabilizer, especially for extended periods of time. That stuff helps but it’s no miracle worker. If you don’t use the machine very often, your best to pony up a little extra money on ethanol-free fuel.

Jamie

Ohio
Pull and clean the plug
Turn her over a few times
Dump in a can of seafoam into the fuel tank
Give a shot of nose juice into the cylinder
Reinstall plug
Don't stop still she fires then run it 80%+ open for 1-2mins
Problem solved itself, she running fine now. I intend to use it much more often while I'm working on firewood, so she gonna be running instead of sitting for the next several months.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ethanol free gas if available is a big plus. That plug could have been partially fouled. Electronic fuel injection? If battery isn't fully charged was it getting funky readings? Hard saying. Some of them are picky.

Jamie

Ohio
I have a Sunoco nearby that sells it and it was almost $6 a gallon the last time I was there a month or so ago. Small potatoes compared to ATV repair. Won't cost me $10 extra dollars a year.

Reactions: GoetsTalon