Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hogs in Ross County

Wiley E Coyote

These two were caught on camera over the weekend near Knockemstiff in Ross County
926.jpeg

Bigcountry40

I foresee in the next decade, the Virginias and Ohio having a rather large boom of feral pigs in their areas.
I know negative 5 people will agree with me, but I would love a sustainable population of hogs to hunt around me ( I get bored in the winter months). Now everyone can tell me how crazy I am and how pigs would destroy our existing habitat. I honestly don’t think pigs could ever become a problem in this state for various reasons.

Chancegriffis

Salesville ohio
I know negative 5 people will agree with me, but I would love a sustainable population of hogs to hunt around me ( I get bored in the winter months). Now everyone can tell me how crazy I am and how pigs would destroy our existing habitat. I honestly don’t think pigs could ever become a problem in this state for various reasons.
Every other southern state has said the exact same thing. Trust you do not want to have a feral hog problem in your state especially with the amount of crops the state of Ohio produces. It won’t be good for anyone in the agriculture business. You have seen first hand what they do in a state like Florida on just a small sliver of public. Imagine what a couple 1,000 pigs in your county could do… at 2/3 litters a year with up to 6/8 piglets per litter, you can’t stop it.. not a real problem you want to have brotha!

Bigcountry40

Every other southern state has said the exact same thing. Trust you do not want to have a feral hog problem in your state especially with the amount of crops the state of Ohio produces. It won’t be good for anyone in the agriculture business. You have seen first hand what they do in a state like Florida on just a small sliver of public. Imagine what a couple 1,000 pigs in your county could do… at 2/3 litters a year with up to 6/8 piglets per litter, you can’t stop it.. not a real problem you want to have brotha!
Everything you said is correct l, but I’m going to stick with my hypothetical selfish argument, majority (if not all) farmers in Ohio inherit their farms, and they all are collecting drop damage insurance revenue annually anyways. I like the idea of doing pig drives every weekend February-September. I don’t see the problem,l. In all seriousness Steve Rinella has asked several hunters/ranchers if they really want feral hogs eradicated, all of them have said no and most states have found a way to profit from their existence sooooo?

Bigcountry40

Ohio has an access problem because of deer hunters. What makes you think they'll let you on to hunt them? Take up trapping. Run trap lines for those months.
Where you and I grew up the culture is a little different as farmers will give us daily permission for predators, geese and basically everything but deer. Even if I couldn’t get private access which I don’t think would be a problem , I would drive an hour or two south once a month to push good public land like woodbury or salt fork if held hogs.

Reactions: Bowhunter57

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I foresee in the next decade, the Virginias and Ohio having a rather large boom of feral pigs in their areas.

They've been saying that for decades bud. They've never really boomed though. If the ODNR gets wind of their existence expect there to be a big show of force with traps in that area and them telling everyone to keep quiet about it.

I'd love to bow hunt hogs. :cool: Finding a decent population that's within a decent driving range is impossible, here in Ohio. (n) Tennessee would be the state I would pick for hunting hogs and possibly be able to bow hunt them without high fences. :cautious:
It's on my "bucket list", so I should start checking out of state hunting possibilities. :unsure:

Reactions: Chancegriffis

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
If you want to hunt hogs in Ohio, then go hunt hogs in Ohio. There’s no closed season so what’s stopping you? Go do the work. Talk to DOW to get tips on where they are. Reach out to landowners in the areas they exist. Then go hunt.

There’s also no closed season on coyotes either, what’s stopping you? Plenty of coyotes across the landscape to hunt all year long. Go hunt coyotes.

We don’t want hogs across Ohio. If you think you do, you truly don’t understand the damage to habitat they cause. You can’t close Pandora’s box once it’s open.

Chancegriffis

Salesville ohio
If you want to hunt hogs in Ohio, then go hunt hogs in Ohio. There’s no closed season so what’s stopping you? Go do the work. Talk to DOW to get tips on where they are. Reach out to landowners in the areas they exist. Then go hunt.

There’s also no closed season on coyotes either, what’s stopping you? Plenty of coyotes across the landscape to hunt all year long. Go hunt coyotes.

We don’t want hogs across Ohio. If you think you do, you truly don’t understand the damage to habitat they cause. You can’t close Pandora’s box once it’s open.
Excellent rebuttal!!

Reactions: Curran