Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hicks Lawn Services truck racing

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks Clay! And pay no attention to the sun visor and roof flapping in the wind. First race shake down. This NEEDS to be addressed. Definitely a distraction. Can't be helping lap times. I don't think aerodynamics are a huge factor in our class but this is clearly working against me. Lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't know @finelyshedded. Depends on the length and shape of the track. This one is more of a round bull ring type track versus some which are more like paper clip shapes. I'd guess 60 give or take 10mph? Maybe a little faster? If their transponders were working I could take lap times and figure an average speed.

Reactions: finelyshedded

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Was the car loose or was the track causing the loose condition? Looks like the steering wheel is moving a lot.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Loose nut behind the wheel. Lol

Track was loose. On that front stretch there was water running across the track. Draining from under the grandstands and into the infield. Get in the corners and it was dusty. As the night progressed it got more dusty. Odd conditions. And honestly, some of that is just the way they are. That truck goes left. If you are on a straight away you have to steer right to go straight.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
@"J" I've studied the GoPro heat race and feature a lot. With volume on, I had my engine builder (and honestly a bit of a mentor for the trucks) point out something. Everytime it got loose and in let off the throttle you could see a steering wheel adjustment. Makes sense. Back out of throttle. Suspension unloads. It upsets the handling. Way fix. Just need to mash it to the floor and leave it there. Easy peazy. 🤣

Weather isn't looking good for Sunday but we are ready to go in the event the weather holds off.

On top of Warriors Way, we picked up the Wapak VFW Post 8445 as a sponsor. Couldn't think of a better weekend to debut them as a sponsor than Memorial Day weekend. It's an honor to carry their names as sponsors this year.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We are 1/3 on scheduled races. Tonight we try to beat Mother Nature and make it 2/4 at Limaland. Got the Wapak VFW graphics on the Warriors Way #17.

1000008285.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Started inside pole in the heat race. Outside pole took the lead. I finished second. He went on to win the feature. I started fourth in the feature. Finished fourth. We need a better driver. That's all I can figure. Truck is fast. Handling sucked donkey balls in hot laps. Super tight. Pushed up the track like a dump truck. Got it freed up for heat race. Maybe too loose but I worked with it. Feature the track slicked off. Made adjustments. Truck did find some bite on an ice skating rink because I lowered tire pressures and hung weight off the rear. I'd like to see the video from the promoter. I'm curious what sort of gap there was between myself and the rest of the field. I couldn't reel in the top three. I never felt or heard anyone behind me. Just sorta flailed about out there by myself just out of striking distance. Second and third place have 500-600 combined feature wins. First place I don't know how many wins but he is the son of 2nd place guy. He snagged a victory from a couple veteran racers with at least 30 years each. He is around thirty and said he has been racing since he was 8 or 9.

I know. That is loser talk. I'm not making excuses though. That is where I am. I'm steadily improving. I just need to shorten the gap of all their experience. I need to get better. I'll keep studying the GoPro footage. Keep taking notes on setup and stuff. Keep trying things to make the truck faster. Some of it just comes down to seat time.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Saw the videos. Studied the GoPro footage. Sort of as expected. Hang with leaders. Bobble once. Loose a couple truck lengths. Not enough motor or driver skill to reel them back in. Another bobble. Couple more truck lengths. And repeat. I really didn't have anyone pressuring me from behind. On an island by myself. Honestly? I settled into points racing "safe mode" once they were 5-6 trucks lengths ahead. Caution flag flies. Back at it 100% hanging with the leaders until I bobbled again. There were two cautions and I did improve hanging with them after the second caution.

Soooo. . . .to get better I need to determine what I need to fix. I do believe setup was off. That doesn't help. I think some of it is driver input. As in, maybe I need to change my corner entry. Slow down more and drive out harder? Drive in just as hard but use the brakes to slow speed rather than off the throttle which upsets the suspension? Is it just the actual angle I am entering? Or maybe how soon or how late I begin the entry? All things to learn and figure out. I'll lean on a few guys who have mentored and coached me along the last couple years.

I won't lie. The GoPro footage is a humbling thing to watch. You sorta just look at it and think "Dang. I absolute sucked there." Lol At the same time, it is an amazing learning tool. And yes, J, still too much steering wheel input. That is the result of the handling issues combined with odd track conditions. Better than the last race. Still sawing at the wheel too much. Need to get smoother. Driver sucks though. 🤣

This was hot laps. Truck was super tight. Would not turn. To get it to turn I basically drove in full throttle, never lifted, jerk the wheel to pitch it side ways. Looked like this when it stuck. That happened once. The other two times I was on the brakes hard and turning the wheel to the left while hoping I avoided the wall. It was ugly (except this one pic which was sorta cool.)
1000008322.png

Opening lap of the heat race. At least the truck could turn. Not as well as I wanted, but 1000% better than hot laps. Still need to see about all the roll as well. Some is good. This is full flex though. Guaranteed the shocks are fully extended on the driver's side.

1000008319.png

And the first couple minutes of the feature. Everything after this was me on an island. A caution where they slowly pulled away, and repeat.