Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hicks hunting log

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ripcord Rest. I don't know Tim. Never had a malfunction with it before. I have messed with it since and cannot get it to duplicate the issue. :smiley_chinrub:

Only thing I can think is the jacket sleeve somehow affected the operation of the rest.

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
I got rid of the ripcord for the QAD. I hated it... Couldn't stand that it would go down after full draw, just a nightmare. Perfect example, I had to let down on my buck within 15 yards this year and had a forky 10 yards behind me. I was lucky to get my bow off its holder. I can't imagine having to try to get my rest back up again.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
MMM, woods are quiet right now. Saw half dozen yesterday at this time. Buh bye phone. Need to focus.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ended up seeing 5. Too far to shoot but probably 60-80yds. Ended up shooting a squirrel with my judo tip. Pass thru shot except for the fletchings. Dang squirrel ran up a tree with it. Had my foreman come over with a shotgun to get my arrow. Dang thing broke when it hit the ground. At least I got my judo tip back and my foreman got some squirrels. Ended up getting 3 more before we left. Oh yeah. Mental note: take climber to get arrow out pf rotten tree from second squirrel. Lol

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
Make the switch to the G5 small game head, Phil. Technically though, I don't think you're supposed to have anything but broadheads in your quiver.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Make the switch to the G5 small game head, Phil. Technically though, I don't think you're supposed to have anything but broadheads in your quiver.

No kidding? I never knew that. Good thing it wasn't in my quiver. It was in a squirrel. hahahah

Final chapter to today's story. Two mornings in a row I had does come thru about 60-80yds away. I needed to get a double stand hung for the kids. I hung that double where the does keep passing thru. Had it on a 5x10 snowmobile tilt trailer hooked to the quad so I took my extension ladder as well. Got my other arrow and judo tip back. After climbing up this rotten tree with a ladder leaned up against it I realized my second arrow was also destroyed. Should have left it. I just can't win. Hopefully one of the kids scores from the double stand.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

And this is the case for the morning. Three sharp broad heads in the quiver. Stupid squirrels cost me two arrows this week. I am done squirrel hunting with my bow. I will stick to the 17hmr for that. Tomorrow is all about finding one more doe to finish my season. This one will be canned. I need to focus on work and getting my son out. He would be out this weekend if he weren't sick. My deer hunting today consisted of road scouting morning and evening for my foreman, cousins, and another friend out with his son. I also helped litter my woods with scent while looking for a buck that was never shot. Long story short: Clean miss. Just happy the boy got a shot at a deer on his first day hunting them. Tomorrow I sport the orange and will be looking for the brown to go down in a see of red!

Updates on the stats from last week:

Hours on stand for the season: 59.5
Deer seen: 72

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
I could be wrong about the quiver deal, I just know that was a reg in NJ. It makes a ton of sense though... Last thing you want is to grab the wrong arrow after a miss and shoot a deer with a field point, or whatever...

I don't know when I'll get back out again. I was going to go with a new guy from here, who still hasn't made an intro post......... but luckily his wife talked him out of it saturday, cause I didn't want to go to MSF on youth gun. I do want to get out at least once more before full blown gun kicks off.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Long day. Short hunt. Frustrating day.

Short version: Got a 2 hour hunt in this evening and got skunked.

Season totals:
Hours: 61.5
Deer: 72

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Morning started good. Long walk to stand and I didn't bump anything. Got to the critical last 100yds , heard one blow and watched what appeared to be 3 take back off across cut corn field. Crap!

Settled in. Now with low hopes. Swapped socks. Watched a beautiful sunrise. Saw a young buck move thru. Watched a red fox make 2 laps around woods. All in all, really nothing to complain about. Going to sit as long as I feel like it today. Life is good.

Hunt: 630-?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Can't edit and add pics from tapatalk so here is the sunrise.
View attachment 11402

Also forgot to mention dropping my fanny pack. At least I get to go fishing with a hook in my pull rope during slow spells. Lol
uploadfromtaptalk1353331183787.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Fished my fanny pack up. Woods had bennett quiet except for tree rats. Finally couldn't take it anymore. One squirrel down. 2 arrows left in quiver.

Mike R

*Supporting Member*
You know Phil I went up to the new dunhams in Lima and they had some neat wrist rockets and steel ball bearings. I bet they would raise some hell with those squirrels. Defiantly cheaper than a broadhead.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You know Phil I went up to the new dunhams in Lima and they had some neat wrist rockets and steel ball bearings. I bet they would raise some hell with those squirrels. Defiantly cheaper than a broadhead.

Great tip! I have been doing well with the squirrels lately but you are correct. It is starting to get expensive. Lol

I should add I am in a tree right now. Held off on a rabbit. Probably should have taken it. This is another long shot stand but works for the winds
hurt never been hunted.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Phone didn't get plugged in. It died. No alarm. No wakey. No hunty. No biggie. Woke up to a sick house. Momma and 2/3 of the kids were not feeling well. Hoping for an afternoon hunt with some road scouting in 20min when Garrett gets on the bus.

Last nights hunt: 3pm-545pm
Deer: Zero

Season Total: 67.75
Deer seen total: 73

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Got a bunch accomplished today. Barely snuck in an evening hunt. The woods were uncannily quiet. It was almost eerie how calm and quiet the woods were. You could hear squirrels gnawing on nuts 75yds away. I figured if a deer did move I would hear them coming from a mile away. Got to the last 15min and something made an awful ruckus behind me. Had a young doe come busting out of nowhere. Reminded me of the bonzai runs our beagle does after coming in from her morning duties on a frosty morning. This little doe was all over the place. Stopped long enough to verify it was not a button buck. I decided this youngin' would taste amazing. She offered me one shot. I had a brief window but hadn't ranged behind me as there is a lot of brush. The one window I had is where she stopped. I ranged her at 31yds and clipped on my release as she took off again. Oh well.

I did see 3 more come thru but they were 100-150yds off.

Hunt: 330-545pm
Deer seen: 4

Season total hours: 70
Total deer seen on stand: 77

Tomorrow is a new day. Garrett is going out with me in the morning to a Rivers Edge buddy stand. He is bummed I will not let him be the trigger man tomorrow. I told him he needs to observe. I am not doing all the work just to let him be the trigger man. He needs to practice sitting still and being quiet. Heck, I do too. Truth is, we hadn't talked about shot placement enough for me to be comfy with him loosing an arrow. I also have not shot the broad heads out of the crossbow yet. Tomorrow I am really hoping Garrett sees some action and I fill my last tag.