Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hedgelj 2021-2

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Learning moments for both of you. It is almost too difficult with your own kid. Someone else's kid you walk them.thru everything nice and calm. Your kid? Big ol' pile of stress and emotions. 😁. Happy for you guys. That is a fantastic buck and some awesome memories.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Verifying zeros.

CVA cascade in 350 legend. Shooting win 150 gr. Vortex 2.5-10 on top.
Group at 150 yards. The misses won't be the gun's fault.
target_image_687555598866516.jpg
20211127_163856.jpg

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
So yesterday was another fun and memorable day. Saw a small 8pt shortly after shooting light. Cooper fell asleep and i couldn't wake him up without scaring the doe at 20 yards off. Oh well....

Slow rest of the morning and he fell back asleep. Then another doe comes walking past us. I get him awake and he finds her and i stop her with a bleat. He says he has a shot so i tell him to take it I'm in her in my scope and she mule kicks and takes off and i have no good shots to take.

I notice the ghost blind is shaking. As we went over shooting lanes and distances I had mentioned that a shot in the direction she was in He'd need to make sure he doesn't shoot the blind. I asked Coop if he had thought of that and he said i never saw it in my scope. Needless to say there's a really nice 45 cal hole in it now and we had a nice discussion about scope height over bore and i take responsibility because i knew it was a possibility and didn't take steps to fix it.

We talk about what he was aiming at, what he saw in the scope and he reaction and where she was standing at.

I go down and sure enough good blood but white hair...

I go get Coop, and we start tracking and I'm teaching. She chose the thickest crap on this piece of property to move through but there's decent blood. I have him try to get above me and out of the impressively thick briar patch in case she makes a run for it. As he moves, i hear her moving through them and then i spot her, and finish off the dramatics.

Good sized doe, we field dress her and her her up hanging.
20211129_124856.jpg

Cooper posing with his trophy.

Edited to add: Cooper's shot had broken the ribs and torn apart skin under the belly ergo white hair. Definitely not a lethal shot in the short term but I'm not holding it against him because it went through the ghost blind first. We did discuss how to improve from that location for next time.

Last edited:

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
The property we bought nestles into a portion of the farm and used to be part of it (or family owned), 70ish years ago.

The previous owners didn't like hunting. I only know of 1 time in the 15+ years I've been deer hunting it that they allowed anyone in it.

In the winter when coyote hunting the hillside always has tons of bedded deer per thermal.

So i decide today I'm gonna take my climber go in a bit and see what happens.

I haven't used it since last year... thankfully i remember how. Get situated and have a beautiful view.

No deer yet though.

Something incredibly special and satisfying about hunting your own property and walking out your garage to do so.
20211130_082511.jpg
20211130_082522.jpg