Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hangin' my bow up, till the weather changes!

Between my trail camera and a few GWs that I know that are seeing deer at night with Night Vision, I'm done bowhunting for deer...for a while. It's not doing me any good to go out and hunt during daylight hours, if the deer are only moving during night hours. I've not seen a deer since the Deer Gun Season. :rolleyes:

I'm not complaining about nice weather, because we've had pretty mild weather, thus far. However, if the temperatures would drop into the teens or single digits with 4" of snow, that would be a game changer for deer hunting. This is especially true for the TRC Property hunt that I was drawn to hunt. The kills for that area have been extremely low and the majority are bucks.

I'm leaning towards coyote hunting for a while. It'd be a nice change and it'll keep me out there hunting, until some weather changes make the deer movements change.

Anyone else, not seeing deer during daylight hours and only on nighttime trail camera photos?

Bowhunter57

Reactions: Mao
We are just starting to see deer again during the day, mostly PM and mostly in staging areas. The plots have popBut that's our farms normal with Christmas tree season and all. Hopefully they start popping out soon, I'd like to get some family on some deer!

Jamie

Ohio
I am only seeing deer during the day because I don't own a trail camera. I don't need to see them when I'm not there. :)

I am only seeing deer during the day because I don't own a trail camera. I don't need to see them when I'm not there. :)
Jamie,
I used to think the same thing, until I purchased a trail camera, about 3 weeks ago. :unsure: The photos have shown me that there ARE deer in the area and more bucks than does. Unfortunately, the deer are there from midnight to 5 a.m. At least, I know they're there because they weren't using the normal game trails, so there weren't any tracks to know if they're in the area or not.
Plus, there are waaay too many coons. :mad:

Bowhunter57

Reactions: Jamie and Sgt Fury

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
As a matter of fact, there were some out feeding in a nearby cut corn field when we went into town at 4p. My Stick cam has been catching some in the mornings, but I agree, we need cold temps. Ha, I bought that extra tag & nothing but warm weather since. I have no desire to go out until things change.

I hope it gets cold for you soon. The season lasts until February but by then a lot of bucks will have dropped their racks.
I know a guy that shot a decent buck with a muzzleloader, during the Bonus Weekend Hunt. As he picked up the deer's head by the rack, to get a good look, one of the antlers broke off in his hand. :eek: Can you say, Gorilla Glue? :ROFLMAO:

Bowhunter57

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The bucks I got on film today are moving more-so from 7pm -6am. It's gonna change soon.

On another note: Looks like Kevin is gonna shoot the fuggin' deer again!:ROFLMAO:

More than likely .... lol

LIFT0348.JPG

Isaacorps

Columbus
I’ll be perched high atop a bowl Saturday morning overlooking a trail that has had consistent buck movement on it during daylight hours from July through my last card pull at the beginning of December. Of course that just means they won’t follow that script Saturday lol. I’ll switch it up and hunt corn pile in the evening. Some cooler temps would certainly help but at this point first thing brown is down for me

Reactions: OO2 and giles

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
The buck Joy is after comes in at last light on occasion. But over-all, its a waste of time according to last 2 camera pulls.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
We need some single digit temps!

Hate to be Mrs "Debbie Downer",,,

but it ain't gonna happen,

at least not this winter...

FYI - the rest of January weather forecast below and February isn't any better;

Wed 1/2 44°/31° Considerable cloudiness

Thu 1/3 41°/27° Clouds giving way to some sun

Fri 1/4 46°/32° A touch of afternoon rain