Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Gravel for Driveways

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
As you can see, we have a flat driveway with a mixture of 57s that stood the test of time and 57s that have been pulverized into oblivion. I need to find a solution for the dust when dry and greasy slim when wet that's the current situation. I've explored asphalt millings, but it was going to be a logistical nightmare. If $ were no object, it would be paved or concreted, but it's going to be aggregates for a while.

I know I'm at the mercy of local commodities and suppliers, but I'm curious what thoughts this group might have. I want to fix the berms on my culvert and clean up my edges first, then I'll need 20-25 ton of product to top it off. Thought about 304s, finding the original 57s (ones that held up), even doing a legit edging and doing river run. Another issue is that to mow those crispy lines, I do a lot of turning in the driveway. Less dust and a product that packs is optimal for both the cleanliness of the house, and my mowing.

Thoughts?

IMG_20210506_194716_321.jpg

Jamie

Ohio
I was in the same boat for several years. After much research and consideration, we had the driveway chip sealed. Was much less expensive than asphalt. It is waaay less maintenance than than asphalt over time, and more flexible, i.e., it will not crack like asphalt sometimes does. They scraped all the loose old stone off the drive and I used it for other stuff, then they put down two courses of tar and chipped limestone just like they do rural roads. We had this done in November of 2020 and it shows no signs of deterioration at all. We love it.

IMG_4391.jpg

IMG_4392.jpg

Chancegriffis

Salesville ohio
I was in the same boat for several years. After much research and consideration, we had the driveway chip sealed. Was much less expensive than asphalt. It is waaay less maintenance than than asphalt over time, and more flexible, i.e., it will not crack like asphalt sometimes does. They scraped all the loose old stone off the drive and I used it for other stuff, then they put down two courses of tar and chipped limestone just like they do rural roads. We had this done in November of 2020 and it shows no signs of deterioration at all. We love it.

View attachment 193290

View attachment 193291
That’s the best report of a chipped and sealed driveway I’ve ever heard. That’s awesome

ThatBuckeyeGuy

Ohio

View attachment 193290

View attachment 193291
I like my slag but I really like the look an idea of the chip an seal!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I went with #67 over my #57 and #304 limestone. It packed tight enough to dribble a basketball. Only issue is…small bits get caught within the tire tread and tracked into the garage.
Battery operated leaf blower makes short order of all of that 😂

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
When all the boys and their shit cars an trucks leaking oil start coming around to date your daughters, the dust will settle down. Until then, broadcast your dirty oil changes like a rainbow in the stone.

😈

Last edited:

Jamie

Ohio
Dust is not a problem at all.

The owner of the company told me that, aside from poured concrete, this was the best driveway we could have from a maintenance and longevity standpoint. He talked me out of asphalt, actually, even though it was quite a bit more money. He recommended after ten years or so to have them come back to put down another two layers and he promised me that it would last at least 20 years after that, probably 30 or more assuming normal residential driveway use. Cost wise, this was some of the best money we have spent on our house. If memory serves me correctly, we have 3200 sq. ft. or so of driveway and this was just over $6K. They did it all in one day.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
IMO your two best options are:

1 - Stick with 57's and just deal with the dust, or
2 - Go with the tar/chip seal that Jamie mentioned.

I'll be doing the gravel portion of my driveway this summer with fresh 57's. The smaller gravel packs a little tighter, but rocks stuck in tire treads is annoying AF. No thanks.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
#57 washed gravel.

It has a mix of limestone that will get crushed over time and it helps lock the stone in. Haven't noticed much dust but my driveway is pretty short in comparison.

I do like the chip and tar idea though. Our county roads around here get that treatment and seem to hold up ok. I would think with a lot less traffic of a driveway would last years no problem.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
What’s your budget for the upgrade?
Debatable at this time. Kinda depends on what Disney ends up setting us back. We also have 3,200SF to do, so Jamie's # is helpful. Got a quick $10-12K # from my buddy in the paving business today. That's really hard to stomach. I can do 57s for $1,250ish probably and that's tolerable, but I really would like to do something more permanent if we can swing it.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Debatable at this time. Kinda depends on what Disney ends up setting us back. We also have 3,200SF to do, so Jamie's # is helpful. Got a quick $10-12K # from my buddy in the paving business today. That's really hard to stomach. I can do 57s for $1,250ish probably and that's tolerable, but I really would like to do something more permanent if we can swing it.
Any road resurfacing going on close by in the near future?
Grindings with a roller to compact and level it can be a viable option for a few years. As long as your drainage is good it’ll hold up for a while.

Floki

🤦‍♂️ I feel your pain. I have at least one brand new truck worth of stone I’ve put in my driveway over the last 15 years ….

Find out what stone quarry has the best stone that makes a very big difference in what you will get . As far as how long it holds up.

Then be sure the stone is gotten from that yard.