Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Gordos 2011 Hunting Log

Gordo

Athens County
I commute about a half hour east down sr50 to my main hunting property. When ruts really swinging i can hardly get there in the morning without hitting a deer.

That def hasnt happened yet

epe

Lancaster
I was on high alert for the whole hour and a half drive. Just like hunting it only takes one really horny one to make an appearance.

Gordo

Athens County
Chose the wrong part of the property today and it ended up being a slow morning with one button buck show up at about 945.

Pulled a cam card on the way out of the woods. Had a shooter at 915 this morning not 20 yards from a stand in the front half of the property.

Damn i hate when that happens!

Taken the afternoon off but will be back at it tommorow morning.

On another 'not so good' note, the big 10 with all the junk hasnt made an appearance on camera in about a week. First time thats happened. Hes been a regular since july. Good thing other bucks have moved into the area that id b happy to tag.

Gordo

Athens County
Painfully slow. Havent seen dick. Getting frusurated. Wtf is the action. Gonna stick it out, but feels like ive been on stand for 10 hours!

Gordo

Athens County
Bumped a 130ish from his bed on my way out. Go figure.

Everyone else still experiencing this lull in se ohio? Or am i just consistently in the wrong spot?

Havent seen any rut activity in a week

epe

Lancaster
Bumped a 130ish from his bed on my way out. Go figure.

Everyone else still experiencing this lull in se ohio? Or am i just consistently in the wrong spot?

Havent seen any rut activity in a week

We have not seen any chasing at all. Have seen over a dozen bucks in three days, but all moving Slow thru the woods eating. Saw one working on a scrape- tree and that was it. Have seen 4 does in the last 24 hours either by themself, or with fawns still.

Gordo

Athens County
Taking the morning off to recharge and get shit done. Possible evening hunt. Looking forward to the weather change as anything different at this point cant hurt.

Gordo

Athens County
Feels like the temp just dropped 10 degrees in the last hour. Will b up in a tree tonight.

One of my buddies was workin out at the property today and watched a small buck dogging two does when he pulled in. From the sounds of it they where running circles around one of my stands.

Good stuff.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Keep your head up Gordo! When the rut busts, it's gonna be intense..like once heard from a wise man..it takes 30 seconds for that big boy to walk by and give you a shot..

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Stay mentally tough Gordo! Things can turn on a dime! This next 10 days will be killer hunting somewhere.! Goodluck!

Gordo

Athens County
Been out a few times since i tanked. Nothing else exciting to report.

With gun season around the corner im starting to plan my late season endeavoures.

The property i hunt most is about 40 minutes away, and that always starts taking its toll right about now.

Its 200+ acres i have all to myself, but the distance is starting to drive me nuts.

I have at minimal 5 different smaller parcels of land i have permission to hunt on within 10 minutes of my house. I really think i need to start focusing on those in the coming years. It would make everything alot easier. Moving stands/checking cams/observation/etc would be alot more practical.

So were halfway through season, and i plan on taking advantage of these different props.

Ill start running cams on at least three of them after gun season and hope for a chance to pattern a worn out buck.

I have two more hunts planned at the property ive focused on, and ill also be out there for opening day of gun with the landowner and 5 or 6 elmer fudds.

We'll see what happens.

Gordo

Athens County
Havent posted forever, but have not given up.

Been running cams like crazy and got a couple late season targets.

Been waiting for the weather to turn. Finally got a light snow coming down in se ohio.

Time to turn up the heat again.

Will prob be doing more long range observation then actual hunting, then slip in once conditions are right and try to close the deal.

Good luck to everyone whos still going strong!