Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Go to "new" muzzleloader

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I have 2 TC Omegas that I love. I'm still kicking myself for never picking up an Encore.

Now that TC is no longer what are the choices for someone getting into muzzy hunting? What are the good to best options at different price points?

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
I love my encores but I've been kicking around the idea of getting one of the firestick muzzleloaders and setting it up for the kids. Before we could use rifles I used my muzzleloader everyday of gun. I was actually thinking of carrying the old 54 cal with buffalo balls this weekend for something fun.

Buckmaster

Portage
I just bought one of these. Modern day flintlock by Traditions…a PA Pellet rifle.
IMG_1168.jpeg

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Man I still got a tc omega but you all are making me consider something new!

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
Well, shit....I didn't know TC was gone. I own a hawken and a triumph from them. Two of the best shooting smokepoles Ive ever shot. For what its worth, you couldn't give me a Traditions. I had one and it was the worst shooting gun Ive ever had. Would not hold a group to save its life. Sold it for 250.00 to someone who thought he could make it shoot. Guess I will have to look into CVAs.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Accura V2 if you can find one new old stock. I dont like their new Accura MR stock. The Bergera barrel is nice, easy to clean and SS.

Reactions: bowhunter1023

Knelly

I have had a TC Triumph for going on 15 years I believe. It's been a hell of a shooter. Last year I handed that down to my son and ended up buying a CVA Accura MR-X. With only one season in and around 20-25 shots through the barrel, I've been please with the results. The camo stock has a soft to touch feel helping with grip, adjustable cheekpiece and the cerakote barrel adds a nice touch. The bergara barrel is also threaded if one would want to had a muzzle break.
The only cons I have of it is the collapsible ramrod, but that gives it a true free floating barrel. They recommend using a polymer base projectile and blackhorn 209. I have been using the Hornady bore driver bullet, switched from my normal Hornady 250gr. and sabot in the TC and have always used BH 209 over past few years.

Lyman Deerstalker 50 cal flinter Flinch Lock. Our season starts Dec. 26th and runs through most of January. They call it the primitive weapons season. Archery and flintlocks only. No percussion no new fangled anything just peep sight or regular sights.

Probably my most favorite time of the year!