Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Foster Parent Now

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
The J man sporting some new clothes and his first boat ride on Lake Erie with Laura and her parents.

IMG_20160824_130859347_HDR.jpg

Resized95201608279516500095002.jpg

She took him to this water park in Madison, Ohio today that CJD's daughter Shawn told us about. He had a blast!!

Riverdude

Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Here he is at the water park with my wife Laura having the time of his life. He has brought so much joy and happiness into our lives so quickly. Although today is his third day in school so we are keeping our fingers crossed that goes well.

Resized952016082895114106.jpg

Resized_20160828_204425.jpg

Resized_20160828_115151.jpg

Last edited:

Riverdude

Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Man he's having a blast! Did he say if he's liking his school?

The first day was pretty rough on the little guy, I think he thought Laura was not coming back and he getting a banded again. Second day went pretty good. Today will be his third day at school.

He was pretty beat from the day at the water park and crashed early with Laura's dog Angle on one side of him and "Hank" the squid from a carton show on the other side of him, lol.

Resized_20160828_224315.jpg

Riverdude

Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
School was touch and go today for his third day. He was good when Laura dropped him off, did not cry and hugged her and kissed her numerous times. When Laura picked him up she was told he was so - so. He got pissed off at another child for some reason and was sent TOO time out and that did not go over well with the "J Man". Must not have been real bad because they did not call the wife to pick him up. The school knows his entire back ground and it does not have a lot of kids in the class so I think they are understanding and patient with him. He has been through a lot and Thursday he is going to his first session for concealing, something NO ONE has done for the poor little guy. It's funny in a way because when we were interviewed TOO be his Foster Parents one thing they told us was he does not do well with small pets. That as we found out is the farthest thing from the truth. He is so gentle with Laura's little dog and my dog Shorty as well. Always loves them nicely and loves them soooo much.

Stay tuned gang.................

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm sure they told you there would be a "honeymoon" period. I hate to sound callous, but it is something to be aware of. Hopefully he continues to adjust well and things continue to go smoothly. I still don't know what Geoffrey did to our GSP Hank. That dog doesn't like G. Even though we have never seen him be mean to the dogs, I believe he did something. Gosh dangit. I hate typing this Jeff. I don't want to sound negative or like I am trying to bad mouth the little man. Watch the dogs. If they warned you, keep an eye on them. Especially Shorty with his weakened state right now.

I pray this was all for naught and I just look like a pessimistic jerk. I hope he blends in super smoothly with you guys. I don't believe there is a cookie cutter mold for people. "Normal people" or "troubled people." I guess all I am really trying to say is keep your guard up. Don't get blind sided if his sweetheart disposition changes after the honeymoon phase. Things for us were either okay at home or okay at school. Never both. If he gave his teacher fits, he was good at home. When he was behaving at school, he misbehaved at home. I truly pray and hope you don't have to deal with some of the crap we did. I hope he is a sweet kid who just needs some love and stability in his life. Even if this is the case, there will be some adjusting for him if he is not used to it. What is "normal" to us may not have been normal to him. If he knows chaos, instability, and uncertainty, that is what he may be comfortable with. It sounds bizarre and backwards, but that is what we found. G didn't understand love and structure. It was foreign to him. We had to teach him it was okay to be loved. The kid still has a long way to go, but has come far. His hugs are still awkward and clumsy, but he hugs us. Much better than the feral child we brought into our home.

Can't say it enough: You guys are doing a great thing. Keep up the great work, my friend. I'm proud of you for doing this. It takes a lot of love and patience. You are making a difference for sure!

Riverdude

Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Thank You Phil for your sound advise. We do keep a close eye on him at all times but will do so more with your past experience.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thank You Phil for your sound advise. We do keep a close eye on him at all times but will do so more with your past experience.

So glad you didn't take that wrong. Wasn't sure if my words on the keyboard would come out right or not. You have raised one kid. You know what you are doing. I am sure you were well educated by the foster people in the system beforehand. Just know up front there "could" be some surprises. It has blown my mind at times and been quite rewarding as well. Keep up the good work my friend!

Riverdude

Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Absolutely not Phil, I encourage all input from my brothers on TOO in this new endeavor. Yes I did raise a daughter for some years but was divorced so not all the years but this is new with a young boy having a tuff life and probably some issue that have messed up such a handsome young mans mind. All I can say is my wife and I have no regrets and TOO see the smiles on his face and my wife is priceless. Hope it gets better each and every day. Again thank you and every one for your kind thoughts and comments.