Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Fort Spence

Fletch

Supporting Member
Spencie, I've seen flexible pvc pipe on young tree trunks to protect them from deer etc....

Sauger

Warsaw
Spencie,
I had the same problem. I tried chicken wire, PVC and also 3 tee post with wire wrapped around (that worked but looked like shit.) Best thing I have came up with is buying a 10' section of concrete wire mesh and making a circle with it using wire ties. Put that around the tree and 2 tee post on either side and I have not had a problem since. I have 30 young chestnut, 10 apple and all are doing great using this. I just ordered 10 permission, 10 apple, and 10 blueberry bushes and I will be doing the same thing to those.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I work enough overtime to keep some corn going year round for inventory purposes. Squirrels suck! The dumb things get inside the feeder when it goes empty and wreak havoc. I dumped a bag in the other day and it immediately flowed out. I’m going to bring the feeder home next time I go to it and see what repairs can be made. There might be a special squirrel extravaganza in the next couple weeks.
4F5E1014-9B33-41B7-9B13-6CB21756C478.jpeg
3AE5EFCB-0DE0-4D92-B0BA-CE1869C942A4.jpeg

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Aluminum/sheet metal screwed too the outside bottom of the feeder?
That’s what I’m thinking but I will need to do something on the inside too. Unfortunately, they will just chew on another area of it. It might just be one tree rat and if I can eradicate him the problem might be solved. Hoping to get another year out of this feeder and then start over.

Reactions: giles

740hunter

Coshocton
I have one of the Banks 600# feeder. They are pricey, but great feeders. Hopefully you can get the hole patched and it will continue to work well for you!

Reactions: Spencie