Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Fishers making a comeback

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina

Looks like they’re coming in from penciltucky. I‘d say turkeys are going to see a decline if there’s an increase of these critters….. People with fish farms and ponds will also be having some issues with them.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish

Looks like they’re coming in from penciltucky. I‘d say turkeys are going to see a decline if there’s an increase of these critters….. People with fish farms and ponds will also be having some issues with them.
Great.... as if the coyotes and bobcats weren't doing enough for the turkey population
When is trapping going to get popular again?
When will the pelts be worth enough to make it worth someone's time?

I need to learn how to do it though for coyotes and (hopefully eventually) bobcats

Reactions: hickslawns and gjs4

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
IMG_9961.jpeg

Fishers are killing machines. Turkey population plummets when they move in. Unlike other turkey killers, these blood thirsty killers can climb and kill the turkey on the roost. They seem to enjoy it too...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Fishers are killing machines. Turkey population plummets when they move in. Unlike other turkey killers, these blood thirsty killers can climb and kill the turkey on the roost. They seem to enjoy it too...
Plus, there’s documentation of them killing lynx up in Maine. It’s rare but it happens. They prey on porcupines as well.

Reactions: GoetsTalon
Plus, there’s documentation of them killing lynx up in Maine. It’s rare but it happens. They prey on porcupines as well.
I've heard that is why the PGC stocked them here in the first place. This I will tell you, they don't seem to prefer them enough to reduce those prickly wood chewing pests much. They love plywood structures to chew on...

Reactions: "J"
There are still Turkey's in Pa but the flocks of 50 to a hundred are now 5 to 10. People around here say the Gobbler's are quiet and come in quiet. The loud ones are being removed from the gene pool I guess thanks to the Fishers?

@giles. The fisher's make cat's look clumsy the way they work the woods!

P8riot

Carbon, In
So are there no turkeys remaining in Pennsylvania or Kentucky?

Fishers are cool. It’s cool when any extirpated critter makes a comeback.
My dad is in SW PA and the game and fish has asked people to report turkey #s that people see. He has also seen a Fisher. I would think they are correlated so they can keep track.

If you think mink weasels and ferrets are killing machines, then turn loose hundreds of fishers that are 5+ times the size of the first 3...

They also wipe out domestic foul as well as wild foul, plus rabbits and squirrels.

The only predator being limited here in Pa is the one who needs a license. While on that subject, why aren't cats licensed like dogs?

Reactions: finelyshedded

SNIPERBBB

Se ohio
Great.... as if the coyotes and bobcats weren't doing enough for the turkey population

When will the pelts be worth enough to make it worth someone's time?

I need to learn how to do it though for coyotes and (hopefully eventually) bobcats
Or when people start paying us to do it. I still trap for some of my friends but most of my fur season trapping these days is for people that opened their wallets.

Reactions: giles