Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Finelysheddeds 2012-2013 Bowhunting Log

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks Ron! I'd like to see you start running a hunting log. You've had a few good hunts already as well. It is actually pretty fun taking pics and describing each hunt to let the others follow along. I'd even help post some pictures for ya.

As far as getting something good out of this.....I can show you how to not find and pattern a shooter buck in early season and put sets up that yield no sightings of any bucks! Rotflmao

I can't even quote the right post?!? I was suppose to quote/reply your post! Lmao

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
As far as getting something good out of this.....I can show you how to not find and pattern a shooter buck in early season and put sets up that yield no sightings of any bucks! Rotflmao

I can't even quote the right post?!? I was suppose to quote/reply your post! Lmao

Keep up the good work, Ric. It makes me feel less "alone". I have never been able to "pattern" a good buck -ever! I can find where they live, where they sometimes travel, where they sometimes eat, where they sometimes lay down...but I'll be darned if I have ever been able to say I knew for a fact that they would do any of those things at a certain time with a certain wind or for a certain reason. I just show up in the general area and wait on 'em. I've come to the conclusion it is just because they are deer, and they don't even know what they are gonna do at a certain time in a certain place. Maybe I'm wrong....
:)

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Keep up the good work, Ric. It makes me feel less "alone". I have never been able to "pattern" a good buck -ever! I can find where they live, where they sometimes travel, where they sometimes eat, where they sometimes lay down...but I'll be darned if I have ever been able to say I knew for a fact that they would do any of those things at a certain time with a certain wind or for a certain reason. I just show up in the general area and wait on 'em. I've come to the conclusion it is just because they are deer, and they don't even know what they are gonna do at a certain time in a certain place. Maybe I'm wrong....
:)

I'd agree with that. It seems there are some deer out there that have set patterns, but I think the vast majority of them just have tendencies and those are what we need to figure out in order to capitalize on their mistakes. Good luck Ric. If anyone can get it done, it is you!!!

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I'd agree with that. It seems there are some deer out there that have set patterns, but I think the vast majority of them just have tendencies and those are what we need to figure out in order to capitalize on their mistakes. Good luck Ric. If anyone can get it done, it is you!!!

I agree!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks guys, many standing cornfields in the immediate area and lack of treestand time isn't helping much. I do have 3 cameras still out with full battery power. Hoping something turns up by next week as far as daytime movement to get me excited again. I'm gonna pull one camera that hasn't done much and set it over another scrape I found last year but just don't know when I'll be able to do it.

Goodluck to y'all!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Been locked,nocked and loaded since 7:30 this beautiful morning. Light SW breeze and mostly clear. Dogs have been barking a lot!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Heard a deer come busting thru the brush between the standing corn and brushy draw on my upwind side at 9:25. Grabbed by binos and saw some cornstalks shaking back in forth out about 60 yards but its so thick I couldn't tell much. I saw a small deer slip out of the thicket and a bigger doe come from the corn where it was shaking. I surmise it was just a doe and a spunky young one playing around. Saw them last at 9:45.

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Had a good hunt this morning. Saw 3 deer from the stand and had a nice shot at a big doe at 21 yards. Got out at 11:00 and stripped down to my base layers and snuck in from another location to pull two cards I had out for about 12 days. I didn't jump a thing to or from both cameras and was anxious to get home and checkout what was on them. One had 32 videos and the other had 17 videos. All I can say is WOW!!!

I got the Gnome buck on both cameras on different days but all vids were at night and early morning. One was over the same scrape as before and unfortunately he spooked from the camera this time. I'll be waiting to see if he comes back to visit it again. Another surprise was I had 3 OTHER mature bucks visit that same scrape but all were under the cover of darkness and close to the same time the Gnome buck was there both times. Two of the other bucks have very unique racks. One is a typical 7X5 with some junk on his left base and the other is main framed 5x5 not counting stickers near the brow bases and other places. I think he has 14 -15 scoreable points as well. Then I have a mature half rack with a nice split on his g2 that tore up the overhead licking branches. This is by far the best pull I've had in a awhile.

Hours hunted: 28.5
Does seen: 18
Bucks seen: 0
fawns or yearlings: 2
bb seen: 1
Yotes seen: 0
Shots taken: 0
Idiots seen: 3
Shot ops 9
coon seen 4

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I am not going to count the hours or sightings I had during the TOO hunt on this thread. I just want to keep this separate from all my other hunts soley for keeping this particular property separate so the data is more accurate for future references.

My hunt at Strouds totaled
Hours 9
deer seen: 3
does: 3
bucks: 0
shot ops: 0
shots taken: 0
beer drank: more than a couple
fun had: more than enough

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My numero uno target buck as of now:

The Gnome Buck or Gnomer at the scrape again. Now he know he's being hunted:

Gnomer stood here for over 5 minutes looking at the camera, I have a stand 30 yards away to the left, its 15 yards downwind of the path:

Here is a new buck I've never seen before. He is a 7X5 with 2 or 3 scorable stickers:

Here is another new buck I have no history with. He's got a very unique rack, prolly 13-14 scorable points:

Here is another 3.5+ buck with only a half a rack. To bad cuz he'd be a nice one:

All 4 bucks and 3 other smaller ones visited this scrape within 8 days. I had several videos of multiple does TOO! Hope you like the vids!