Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Favorite shed hunting photos

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
This was a cool find. This deer was 6.5. He had a tine grow down through his face and out his eye. It looked infected and I figured he was in bad shape. I had let him walk since he was a 2 year old, and he became the boss of this property. There is always one that I can count on staying local and running the place. This was him. I decided I'd kill him if given the chance considering the antler issue. He had broken off one big tine while he was still in velvet, actually in late August. I got a shot at him on November 4, 7 yards, and single lung shot him.... I found him eventually just after Christmas, freshly killed by coyotes. Anyway, I happened to find the big tine he had broken off laying within inches of the last speck of blood I found while tracking him. It was as if he and the hunting gods thought that was funny...

Hands down, the biggest bodied deer I have ever seen on the hoof. The trail cam pic shows where he broke off the tine I found while tracking.

Attachments

• ugly 6 broke tine.jpg
    ugly 6 broke tine.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 201
  • big 6.jpg
    big 6.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 222

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm sure it was. What was really strange was that somehow he managed to break off the antler that was growing out of the side of his face before I found him too. I figured the antler deformity was really painful, and he probably worked really hard to break them off. The one I found he broke off in late August, but as you can see in the trail cam pic, he still has the one growing out of his face in September. I bet he was miserable.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks for sharing that Brock! A real oddity of deer and pretty cool history you had with him. It's amazing what some deer live with or go though during their short lives.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Thanks for sharing that Brock! A real oddity of deer and pretty cool history you had with him. It's amazing what some deer live with or go though during their short lives.

Years ago I saw one that was shot and was skin and bones walking... One side of his rack grew down around his bottom jaw so that the deer could bearly open his mouth to eat...

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I've logged over 8 miles rabbit hunting since Saturday, Monday Kaiser's buddy Brent found. 60+" shed and that's been it.... I've looked at all the crossings whether fence, creek or ditches.... Thickets that have any paths through them... Nada.... Story of my shed career lmao....

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I've logged over 8 miles rabbit hunting since Saturday, Monday Kaiser's buddy Brent found. 60+" shed and that's been it.... I've looked at all the crossings whether fence, creek or ditches.... Thickets that have any paths through them... Nada.... Story of my shed career lmao....
Brent or Brett?

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Brock finding a tine rings a bell. I helped a buddy get a deer a few years ago (Ron knows my buddy Jeff). He shot a deer here that scored right at 140+ we named Ohio Big Buck. This buck broke a tine off a day before being shot according to trail cam. Anyhow, I had a real good pic to go by so my Taxi rebuilt the rack. A week after the mount was finished, I found the broken tine while shed hunting! Useless information I know, but found it kinda neat.