Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Driveways

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I need to do something with my driveway and can't afford the luxury of concrete/asphalt, but sure would like it. We have a great base, but the last load of limestone I bought was garbage. You can see some of the "good 57s" remain, but everything I put on 2 years ago, is pulverized. We have a neighbor that did chip-and-seal, which would be alright. I've also considered asphalt millings. Or, cheap and easy is a higher caliber of 57s or similar stone.

I have a short, flat, well drained driveway. With kids, something stable for riding bikes is preferable, which is why I'm leaning towards millings or chip-and-seal. Curious what others have found luck with in terms of durability.

20220215_172937.jpg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The finer it is, the quicker it’s gonna turn to what you already see there. Me personally, I’d probably top dress it with some quality 57’s and call it a day. You have a good base so they should hold up well. If you can swing it, get a roller or tamp on it to pack them in good. Your last round was probably a shitty run of 57’s, or they told you they were 57’s and instead brought 411’s.

Jamie

Ohio
we had our gravel driveway chip sealed in November of 2020. gravel since 1981 when the house was built, so we had a great base. The company that did it talked me out of asphalt, suggesting this would last as long or longer with no maintenance, Concrete was out of the question because of enormous cost. After over a year, it looks the same as the day they did it. I can shovel snow off of it if I want, and it makes pretty much everything I do on the driveway easier because you can roll things like empty trailers around on it easily. rolling garbage can out to the road is even easier. kids can ride bikes and stuff on it. I like making things easier these days, lol. A good investment for us. We love it, and wish we'd done it ten years ago.

The fellow that did the work told me that in 10-15 years to lay down another layer (they did two layers of tar and stone) and it will last another 30 years or more without maintenance.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Something worth noting: I've heard rock numbers vary by region. What they call 57's in my area are larger and generally used to backfill along foundations. They don't pack worth a darn. 411's are a mix of fines and some larger rocks up to the size of 57's.

I used some asphalt millings last fall. So far so good. Too soon to determine how they will hold up long term. They have done pretty well so far this winter. Packed in like a champ. Not breaking up yet. Hopefully they don't.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I had some millings left over when I had my driveway extended a couple of years ago. I used the backhoe to put them in my neighbors dirt driveway. He’s mentioned more than once how well it packed down and the ride is less bumpy. I’d go with millings but be sure to pack them down. They should last for years.

Reactions: bowhunter1023

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
If I was in your position I would do the asphalt milling. Have them tailgate spread it in a thin 2-3" or so depth. Rent a small roller and roll it. Once you get that rolled have them bring in another load and repeat. I would then use that torch you got for the weeds and heat up the asphalt in small sections and give it a final roll. Should look like brand new asphalt when your done.

Reactions: bowhunter1023

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
I run a gravel pit and it definitely looks like 411 or 304 you have there, crushed 57s have no fines or powder in them. Millings are good but you definitely want to roll them in like everyone else said. Only thing about milling is dealing with the bigger chunks if you could find some processed or screened millings where it's all 57s and smaller that would work better. Once they are down and packed in its not as bad but your always gonna track some of the fines in your garage or the house. I wouldn't put anything down until we have a good dry spell or you will lose most of it in the ground, even if you think its got a good base if it starts pumping it will disappear. If you go limestone of gravel make sure it's crushed so it doesn't roll around as much.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have a good buddy that used to travel the country pouring big ass slabs for Wal-Mart and such, so he could definitely hook me up. That's a possibility if/when we decide to refi and draw on our equity as it would be a direct increase in value for sure. And yes, my OCD would love that good clean edge! I work hard at it already!