Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer Management Stakeholder Organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Been there, had an issue last year, lasted about 2 months and it sucked.... I did some physical therapy as well as massage therapy and the combo helped a ton....

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Now isn't that a outline.
The one statement that got me was reduce deer-vehicle accidents by 50%.
Only way i see doing that is to reduce the deer herd numbers by 50% or reduce the number of vehicle by 50%. Now we all know the vehicles will not be reduced in numbers but only will increase as time goes by. So I guess there goes the deer herd numbers towards downwards.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Now isn't that a outline.
The one statement that got me was reduce deer-vehicle accidents by 50%.
Only way i see doing that is to reduce the deer herd numbers by 50% or reduce the number of vehicle by 50%. Now we all know the vehicles will not be reduced in numbers but only will increase as time goes by. So I guess there goes the deer herd numbers towards downwards.
I haven't read it yet. But I believe they've been reduced 30 percent or so since the peak around 2008. Another 50% would be a total of around a 70% reduction from 2008 numbers.

And you are correct in your assumption. The only real way to reduce DVAs with any measurable result statewide is to reduce the deer population and continue to reduce it as more people get on the road.

BCamp

Dayton
Hate seeing someone on the council has this as an objective, from section 3.2 group 1:
5. Reduce deer herd by 2/3. (IMPACTS)

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
While recommendations were made in a group setting, names should accompany the the fundamental objectives identified.

The individuals in those groups are representing the official stance of their orgnisations with regard to a resource that belongs to the people of Ohio. The people have the right to know what organisations are similarly aligned with their beliefs and which aren't.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Deer herd reduced by 2/3, and adjust and add season days. Holy shit. The season needs shortened and the herd has already been reduced 2/3 IMO.

BCamp

Dayton
Deer herd reduced by 2/3, and adjust and add season days. Holy shit. The season needs shortened and the herd has already been reduced 2/3 IMO.

Agreed. I can see more access by adding public land but not more access by adding to the season. Too much stress on the herd already.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Anyone see a trend. It's obvious those there don't understand how the herd has been reduced this far trough the addition of opportunity. Farm Bureau who advocated for the early muzzleloader season understood this and thats why they pushed for it. When it was removed and bonus gun put back in they sent their politicians after the DOW under the guise of "the hunters deserve more oportunity, dont do this to hunters." They even managed to force another meeting of the council. Luckily the wildlife counsil held their ground. Kinda. What I see happening is the individuals who still want a reduction rolling out the red carpet for anything that promotes more opportunity, more access, and more hunters all the while knowing that is exactly what's needed to further reduce the numbers. In short they don't have to fight to get their reduction. They simply have to fight to get the pro hunting orgs everything they want that will increases kills. The rest will take care of itself.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Good points there, Joe. More public land, more opportunities, and longer season might just reel those back in that might of hung their hats do to the reduced deer numbers, which then results in more kills.

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Same old bullshit.

You didn't actually think things would change did you? They only met for what, 4 days 8hrs each to hash this all out? Now they can try telling people " we gave you hunters a voice in the process" Makes them look like they cared lol. Still the same puppet masters pulling the strings. SMDH

B

bawana

No we've only met for two days:smiley_crocodile: The vehicle crash reduction effort was directed towards having more highways with high (deer) fences. As you read all 49 mean objectives within the four small groups, how many times do you see reduce the herd by 2/3. Only one person on one small group recommended that, it's not happening! Remember this group is all deer stakeholders not just hunters, page 13 lists all the involved parties. The first meeting was like most first meetings......things will start getting interesting in August.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thank you Mike and Brent for the updates. Good to see the TOO members aren't shooting the messengers. Hopefully the messengers for what the hunters truly want will be heard. I fear they have you guys there just to appease the hunters. I hope they actually listen to the voice of the hunters.

Hope you mend quickly and fully as well. Doesn't sound like much fun.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
No we've only met for two days:smiley_crocodile: The vehicle crash reduction effort was directed towards having more highways with high (deer) fences. As you read all 49 mean objectives within the four small groups, how many times do you see reduce the herd by 2/3. Only one person on one small group recommended that, it's not happening! Remember this group is all deer stakeholders not just hunters, page 13 lists all the involved parties. The first meeting was like most first meetings......things will start getting interesting in August.

Page 13 lists all the involved parties in a list. I was referring to the individual objectives that came out of the groups. The "stakeholders" represent their organisations desired results over a resource belonging to everyone, as such everyone deserves to know that orgnisations stance. I.e what specific stakeholder would like to see a 2/3 reduction. What stakeholders would like to see more access. I think thats crucial as the people whose resource they're haggling over deserve to know who they should support and who they shouldn't. Who they should contact to show support for the objective that means the most to them. There's a reason bills introduced to the legislature have sponsors.

Status
Not open for further replies.