Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Chicory or Dock?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The mouse ain't got no clock and I'm conflicted. At some point, I'm positive I've hit this plot with a clover and chicory blend. But, I know it had curly dock in it too. I honestly think it's some of both, but the area I hit with that blend, is thickest with this stuff. It doesn't make sense that curly dock would increase 10x in one year, so I'm cautiously optimistic that it is chicory and that they'll eat it. Thoughts?

20220911_095103.jpg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Same on mine, just seems crazy that it proliferated like it did. Fortunately, I'm ripping it out and starting over this spring. It's needed a workover for a while.
You guys had a relatively wet growing season, right? Weeds can go crazy when the conditions are right.

Reactions: Spencie

Stressless

Keene, OH
What planting mix did you end up with in this plot? It looked like chicory from your pics, also to help tell, snip a bit and chew, chicory has a pleasant flavor.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Haven't planted anything yet. Soil is out for testing and I'm still researching blends. What's there is a bastardized blend of 4-5 different blends over it's 7-8 year existence. Hard to tell what's what in that regard.