Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

chew, snuff, chaw, dip, etc

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Guilty!!! I did so good all summer. As soon as bow season hit, bam! Couldn't help it any longer. Good news is, that's the only time. In a tree stand or chasing bunnies.

Bad news is I didn't kick it completely. Glad I don't have an outside job like some of you guys.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I used to chew about 3 to 4 tins of chew in a weekend I deer hunted. I chew this mint leave chew shit now. It is really close to the real thing, it took a week to get used too. now I just get a craving after a few beers or in a treestand, and toss in a chew. I am suggesting you all try it if you are interested.

I know redman never worried me as much as dip. Someting about dip just seemed to always give me a bad feeling!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
How does it feel? Does it pack in the same? Stay together or fall apart in your mouth? Just curious. I tried some stuff one other time. It was nothing close to chew. Couldn't do it.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm still dip free after a few days over a year! No cravings at all anymore! Do miss it during hunting and fishing trips but I'm done with it!
Albert, I've done the mint chew years ago when it was cheap($1.50/can) now its more than the Grizz straight! It sucks that when an alternative works they jack up the price! A buddy at work is trying a coffee snuff now. Asked if I wanted to try it but I said, thanks but no thanks. No reason to try any type of that vice again! I don't even chew gum! There's shit in that they say ain't no good for you either........dang!

Good luck in your quest to cut back or quit!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
How does it feel? Does it pack in the same? Stay together or fall apart in your mouth? Just curious. I tried some stuff one other time. It was nothing close to chew. Couldn't do it.

it packs pretty close to the same. I tried that Smokey Moutain stuff 1 time, and it sucked. This Jakes Mint chew, is pretty darn good Phil!

Only issue I see with it is, since the craving doesnt go away 100% I chew it for a lot longer. Ill have a dip in my mouth damn near all day long but I was almost that way with tobacco anyways!

I think it is like 3.00 a tin. I bought 10 tins of it so I can just chew it when I want it.

Diablo54

Outside
it packs pretty close to the same. I tried that Smokey Moutain stuff 1 time, and it sucked. This Jakes Mint chew, is pretty darn good Phil!

Only issue I see with it is, since the craving doesnt go away 100% I chew it for a lot longer. Ill have a dip in my mouth damn near all day long but I was almost that way with tobacco anyways!

I think it is like 3.00 a tin. I bought 10 tins of it so I can just chew it when I want it.

What flavor are you chewing?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
What flavor are you chewing?

with real dip I always did straight. However, I have found with these fake ones their straight doesnt taste like tobacco to me. I tried the mint flavor, and it seems to fake my mind out pretty good. Deff has some getting used to, but I enjoy it!

Also when you spit it tends to be brown so it makes it feel just like tobacco! I think it is all about faking the mind out!

Let me know if you give it a try!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Does it seem to tear up your lip or gums any?

Honestly, I think the nicotine addiction combined with the habit is a motha to quit. Kicking the chewing/spitting habit might be harder to do than getting over the nicotine. I don't know. Can't remember the last time I gave it a fair shot at quitting.

lung buster

hocking county
Today is day 196 without a dip for me! Still miss it everyday but I know I can't have just one or it will be on for another 20 years! Plus I never want to go through another first week quitting, damn that sucked! Cold turkey is the only way to go!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Today is day 196 without a dip for me! Still miss it everyday but I know I can't have just one or it will be on for another 20 years! Plus I never want to go through another first week quitting, damn that sucked! Cold turkey is the only way to go!

Awesome job!!! Proud of ya!!! Daggone right!!!that first 3 weeks was tough for me!!! Stick with it and keep on keepin! Congrats!

I miss itas well but so much happier that I quit it cold turkey as well!

Jamie

Ohio
has been 11 months nicotine free for me. I don't even think about it now, nor am I ever tempted. how many of you other quitters are still off the chew? I seemed to have acquired about 15 pounds that I can't seem to shake off, but otherwise, I'm good.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Today makes 10 days for me. The first day was the roughest. I still crave it but I have turned to sunflower seeds to help with the cravings.

rsmith

It's been 2 years for me and I couldn't feel better. No constant craving for it, saving a lot of money as I went through about a can a day, teeth are finally white again, fingers and pants don't have chew stains from the moisture anymore. Dustin hang in there man it is well worth it! I had bad withdraw from it such as vomiting, diarrhea, and constant headaches/migranes. But in the end I knew that I needed to fight through it to kick the habit and it was well worth it! Seeds and double mint gum was what got me through the hard times and starburst lol. I stared when I was 15 years old smoking and than it escalated to chewing in school than smoking whenever I had the chance. At the time I thought I was just being cool smoking a pack in 2 days but than after seeing my grandfather die from double lung cancer and hearing from his doctor that his lungs looked like someone shot him with a machine gun cause of all the damage that was done to them from smoking, I slowly quite smoking by 17 but was then chewing a can a day at 16. I met my current girlfriend when I was 17 in December and she told me in March it's her or the chew, I said give me a couple months and I will be done, by my 18th birthday in May I was determined to quit and since that week I haven't had a chew since and couldn't be more happier.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Congrats to all that have stopped and stay clean. Never tried it and quit smoking 48.5 yrs. ago and after seeing all the health problems it's caused my brothers in our latter years I'm damn glad I did stop.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
It has been 10 years for me. Snuff. I smoke occasionally. Luckily it is like drinking for me....I can smoke and not smoke again for months.

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
This October will be one year for me of no chew. Im hanging in there.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've been smoke free (minus a few while drinking) since 8/29/14. I did pick up chewing a little more often, but still not what I'd call a habit. One punch used to last a month, now its like two weeks.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Lots of good news on here! Glad TOO here that we are still doing well being tobacco free. Myself have been off the shit for 1-1/2 years now. No more cravings is always good! Jeep it up fellas!