Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Buckmaster's Adventures

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That's a great story, Ben! Glad it turned out well, those things can go bad in a hurry. Thank heavens for snow!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
You're a great teacher Ben! Great read TOO! So cool hearing how excited the son and father were, reminded me of my youth! Good luck to you and your group next week!

Buckmaster

Portage
Attached is Kevin (Aka. "Scope Nose") and his button buck and 8 point that were taken at camp Sunday morning while doing our annual last day deer drive.
Scott and I were the pushers and Kevin was the stander. We had success on 2 out of our 4 pushes. Not the way I like to hunt, but effective.

That makes the current camp deer kill count at 10 for this year.

I saw 27 deer throughout gun week while at camp with only 4 being small bucks. I had many opportunities to take does during the evening hunts around the food sources as most are now going nocturnal coming out right at last light. Hunting pressure was non existent all week long with very few neighbors out moving deer. A rather disappointing gun week, except for Kevin, who was on Cloud 9 yesterday.

That's all that matters anyways..... hunting with your family and friends enjoying each other's company while creating everlasting memories.

Attachments

• Kevin's deer.jpg
    Kevin's deer.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 323

Buckmaster

Portage
While bow hunting a couple weeks ago I saw the "King of Squirrels" so the Sunday before gun season I went on my quest.

My quest ended an hour later with what ended up being; "The Queen of Squirrels".

Without further ado.

Attachments

• Squirrel.jpg
    Squirrel.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 347

Buckmaster

Portage
Here's an update on my turnip plot that was planted on August 1 and matured on November 1.

This picture was taken on December 4th. The deer are hammering this plot. I can smell the plot from 100 yards away.

Attachments

• Tower Plot.jpg
    Tower Plot.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 318
  • Turnip Plot.jpg
    Turnip Plot.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 350
  • Turnip 2.jpg
    Turnip 2.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 317
  • Big Turnip.jpg
    Big Turnip.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 347

Buckmaster

Portage
D Stand.jpgHere's my panoramic view of my main tree stand view last week. All the deer ended up being high along the food plots not down low in the cover with me.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
It was a great read catching up on your thread Ben! That has got to be the biggest fuggin squirrel I've ever seen! You had to use a quad to haul her out TOO! Lol

Your plots look awesome man! Should help lure in a shooter buck for you this winter! Are you running any cameras Ben? Just wondering if you have any target bucks you're looking for or if you know of any still alive or killed by a neighbor or such.

Good luck on your next hunt!

Buckmaster

Portage
Are you running any cameras Ben? Just wondering if you have any target bucks you're looking for or if you know of any still alive or killed by a neighbor or such.

I took the cams down Weds of gun season. They've been running since August. The biggest I've seen this year in person and on cam is a 125".
Last year I saw a 180" in person.

I do have a problem with my neighbor across the hollow. He likes to shoot deer in his pasture right before dark out his barn window with a .223. Upon darkness, the Polaris comes out of the barn for pickup. I've seen three instances of this this fall. He openly admits, "Its my land, I can do as I please". All the big ones are probably nailed to his barn siding. He did tell me he got a big 10 point the day after Thanksgiving that's at the Taxi now (its strange because he doesn't bow hunt). Two years ago my buddy Scott took a nice 8 point with a small caliber bullet hole in its neck. Makes you go "Hummm". Its tough competing against Poachers.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I took the cams down Weds of gun season. They've been running since August. The biggest I've seen this year in person and on cam is a 125".
Last year I saw a 180" in person.

I do have a problem with my neighbor across the hollow. He likes to shoot deer in his pasture right before dark out his barn window with a .223. Upon darkness, the Polaris comes out of the barn for pickup. I've seen three instances of this this fall. He openly admits, "Its my land, I can do as I please". All the big ones are probably nailed to his barn siding. He did tell me he got a big 10 point the day after Thanksgiving that's at the Taxi now (its strange because he doesn't bow hunt). Two years ago my buddy Scott took a nice 8 point with a small caliber bullet hole in its neck. Makes you go "Hummm". Its tough competing against Poachers.

Now that would piss me off! This kinda of shit happens a lot more than we can even phathom!

Just catching up on your thread. Congrats to the young man and your buddy. The neighbor with the .223 needs an attitude adjustment. But, an irate neighbor is the last thing you want beside your camp. I'm assuming this is why the situation hasn't come to a head thus far. I'm sure his antics are beyond frustrating.