Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brock/Mason go huntin

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mason shot the previously shown small 8. He was the only deer we saw tonight. He shot him at 25 yards, video looks like a good hit, but I can't tell for sure. There was not a speck of blood that I could find aside from the blood covered arrow and a couple specks right around it. I'll post the video in a bit, maybe you guys can tell me what you think. I plan to go back with a better light after 10. On the video you cannot see the arrow enter, but it looks good when you see it come out the other side. I'm really, really surprised there wasn't blood splattered at the scene of the crime. I would just leave him until morning, but yotes seem to be thick back there this year.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The more I watch this video (which is just finishing on Youtube now), the better I feel about finding him. Mason is an exceptional shot, and I have little doubt he put it where it needed to be...but you never know. And with a dang arrow, sometimes it can get tricky. I'll add a link to the vid when it finishes, maybe you fellas see something different than I do. The deer does appear to be 1/4 too a little more than I'd have liked, but Mason was off to my right a good bit, so his angle was probably a little better. He waited to get the nearside leg forward before shooting, and I think he hit it well, I just gotta find it! You fellas will have to watch for the arrow exiting Look at the offside leg, and essentially under the deer's body, you'll see it.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Worst blood trail I've ever followed...that ended with a dead deer! I swear, a poodle in heat leaks more.

I'll give a full report in the morning.