Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brock following Mason through the woods.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Great friggin read Brock!!! Nice recap of Phil and Garrett's hunts and you and Masons! He learned a lot in that missed opportunity as we all have and I'm sure his fire burns even hotter. You're are absolutely right that he beat that deer in every aspect but just not knowing the correct yardage.
Hope he gets another shot opportunity at him or another of your target deer pretty soon. It'll happen I'm sure and knowing Mason he prolly won't make the same mistake twice.
Good luck you guys!!! Again, great job in making Phil and Garrett's trip a success!!!

Ya gotta eat a lil crap for the long-awaited cake to taste good when it's finally served up! :)

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I will NEVER say doe killing is needed, but you are welcome to shoot 'em if you'd like. I like seeing deer, and the only way to see deer is to not kill them. I hope I'm not coming off wrong, you really are welcome to shoot them, but don't feel like you need to for herd management, etc. This is your hunt, I want you fellas to do/shoot whatever you'd like to in an effort to enjoy yourselves! I've been known to shoot a doe or two myself, nothing wrong with it, but no culling effort encouraged here.... hope you get what I mean. :)
I absolutely get what your saying and I agree. Taking too many does can really hurt an area. Right now the freezer is empty (has been for a couple of years actually [emoji14]) so I may try to knock down one early in the week. After that it will probably be strictly buck hunting. I want to spend as much time in a tree as possible on this trip.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Great! I don't think you will have much trouble finding something for the freezer and skillet! Most likely run into something with some flavorless antlers too! :)

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
This is what I wait for every year, reading these stories of you and Mason. This year will be even better when adding in some others hunts as well. Great recap of the weekends shenanigans. Sucks Mason missed but it will only help him as I know it will drive him nuts and he will work harder at the yardage guessing game. In just a couple months he will be down to the yard on guessing and that buck won't have a second chance.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That hunt will be remembered forever! Dad and I still talk about some of the misses more than the kills. What a great experience! Helluva buck too ;)

I agree! I remember most every miss on every truly "big" buck like it just happened. The few that actually result in a body are a bit fuzzy.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Great video Brock. He was acting pretty nervous around the apple pile. Hopefully Mason gets another chance to arrow him.

Yes, he was a bit nervous. Swirling winds and all, gotta believe smoke saved us there. With that being said, what freaked him out the most was when he slid over a step or two and noticed the game camera. I had moved it at 10 am, he didn't like it. But, he did come back at 230 am or so. I'm going to pour the apples to him, let things settle, and see if he comes back this weekend. Mason shot his bow all evening out to 40 . I suspect he's going to give it a go again. Get back on the horse sort of thing, and by golly he will know the yardage of every hole he has to shoot through! :) Tough lessons are well learned.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I was thinking he liked the apples way to much to not be back. Fat bastard needs ventilated. Hope to see him in a pose soon!
You both done real good...It'll happen...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I was hoping since he finally had a taste of 'em he'd start coming regularly. I never got a vid of him all last year eating apples. This was the first time this year he's taken a bite. Hope he enjoyed.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
WOWZERS!!!!!! You BOTH, amaze me!!!! That was AWESOME!!!!!!!! That buck exhibited every survival instinct n his arsonal!!!!!! Damn I respect them big old rascals!!!!!

THATS WHY THEY LIVE SO LONG:)

Thanks a million for making my evening!!!! Hope you guys get another crack at him!!!!