Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Blackhorn 209 powder

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Damn!
I‘ve got a half a bottle and a full bottle, so if you need some let me know. I found the full bottle a year ago at Walmart, it was priced stupidly low, figured it was a mistake but I capitalized on their screwup. $27 for the bottle, unfortunately it was the only one they had….
$72 is robbery on that, especially when you have to add shipping… I’ll keep an eye out down here and let you know if I find it cheaper….

PS. Just looked at my bottles, mine are 8 and 10 ounce, charge more get less…

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
That's a crazy price. I have plenty currently if anyone gets in a pinch. I believe I have (3) three unopened bottles in stock and another that;s nearly full. I'll part with one bottle no problem, two maybe if the offer/trade is fair.

Attachments

• 20230721_074732.jpg
    20230721_074732.jpg
    466 KB · Views: 69
Reactions: Mike and Stressless

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Ouch!! What's the deal with the limited supply on this? I need to check my inventory, thanks Sam.
I only saw a few cans of it last year for sale. I don't how why the limited availability or the stupid price compared to other options.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
In 2019 I bought (4) four 10oz. bottles from MidwayUSA for $34.99 each plus tax & shipping. I'll bring two bottles to @giles Saturday evening if interested. You can make an offer on one or the two if you like. Right now the same retailer has it the 8oz. bottle for a few dollars cheaper than what Sam posted, but still, that's way out of my league. Hopefully those prices come down and the availability improves in the near future.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I found a grain to weight chart online. Looks like 8 oz is 3500 grains or about 30 110 grain (my powder measure) shots. That's $2+ a shot for powder only. Ouch!

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I found a grain to weight chart online. Looks like 8 oz is 3500 grains or about 30 110 grain (my powder measure) shots. That's $2+ a shot for powder only. Ouch!

It is SOOO much better than the other alternatives I've used (pyrodex and triple 7) but its definitely makng it more expensive to practice and work up loads.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Wish to be absolutely clear about my powder experience. I am no muzzy expert. What I use today works for my current setup, verified and proven, which I did take the time to research heavily first, then reconfigured an old 30 year old plus, Knight in-line muzzleloader for that specific powder, and well, it works pretty darn good imo, and consistently too despite conditions, which boost my confidence level a whole bunch with that implement. I spent the summer of 19 working out all the kinks, then posted the final upgraded muzzleloader. It's my first personally owned muzzleloader that was gifted to me. I know most here already know perhaps so, this info within this post is for those that don't know why I use the Blackhorn and that I have really no experience with anything else but the other elephant powder & the old #11 percussion caps. That was the original muzzleloader firing configuration.
The bottles I bought from Midway was on sale. I'm pretty sure about that, otherwise I typically would not buy a bulk amount., I first started off with a small 8oz. bottle I believe that I bought also from Walmart initially, knowing that I intended on converting that muzzleloader. I remember it was real cheap, on sale and during the off season clearance deals.

Just trying to help anyone out that might be in need or want, thanks!