Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Blackbeard's 2014-2015 Hunt Journal

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
11/01/14- PM. My 3 yr old and 5 yr old and I went out behind the house about 200 yards to quickly convert an old machine shed into a future BIG hunting blind for my 5 year old for next year. After making quite a bit of noise removing a sheet of metal from the back to make a shooting hole and pouring out some corn it was about 30 minutes before dark and I told them we might as well try it out. Not thinking anything would come in the first night due to the noise and the fact that our riding lawnmower and wagon were sitting right in front of the building, we sat and they watched intently. 10 minutes later a mature doe and yearling came in and starting eating. They were real nervous because of the new hole in the building and ran off but came back a second time to 25 yards to get a little more corn and stare at the hole. My boys were pumped and unbelievably quiet. Next thing you know my 3 yr old was snoring! It gave me a chance to teach them their "deer hunting voices", i.e. whispering, and was really fun. If only dad would have took his bow!

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
11/04/14- AM. Hunted a stand I've been putting up for several years on an old lady's 40 acres which sits at the convergence of a ditchline and fenceline between two thickets. It is typically doe central and this morning was even better. About 30 minutes after daylight the does started coming. By 9:30 I had seen 10 different does, a button buck, a spike, what looked like a small 6-8 pt buck, and two unknown deer in the distance. I was doe hunting but it was just too warm today to put one down so although I had a good shot at 8 of the 10 does I didn't let an arrow fly. Exciting morning though. Deer were really moving.

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
11/04/14- PM. Walked down the road and out behind my neighbor's house for a quick last hour of the day hunt since the wife and kids were gone. Didn't see a thing. Its really hard getting anywhere right now in the evening with the leaves as loud as they are, especially an hour before dark. But it was better than sitting at the house.

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
11/06/14- PM. Hunted a ground blind I built behind a fallen pine tree which sits in a ridge saddle. Didn't see anything in the 15 MPH wind and light rain until 5:40 when a shooter 8 or 10 pt came past me at 25 yards. No buck tag so no shooting him. I was very pleased to see him do exactly what I thought bucks would do when I built this blind. He was obviously bedded on the ridge bench to my south and stayed until almost dark before making his way through the saddle to get across the big ridge to the other side where the acorns are. Pretty cool. A buddy was hunting over on that side of the ridge but didn't see the buck.

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
11/08/14- AM. Hunted a stand in a walnut tree on the edge of a hollow. Had a decent buck come under me at 8 then a smaller 8 at 8:15. Smaller buck worked a scrape then heard me take his photo and got spooky. When you are doe hunting during the rut what's all you see? Yep two bucks no does this morning.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415451629.795888.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1415451640.097839.jpg

Last edited:

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
11/09/14- AM. Hunted a ladderstand in my overgrown field. Morning started slow, only saw two does until 9:00 when deer started appearing everywhere. Saw 3 does followed by a small 4pt, then a doe, then two does, then a button buck, then three does. Shot the biggest of the three does at 20 yards and only got one lung so tracked her 250 yards before finding her. Good morning.

IMG_8584.jpg