Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Black walnuts

Bluefinn

Portage Co.
There's a walnut tree by me that lost most of it's nuts in the storm. Would they be ripe? Usually I pick them up after they fall in late Sept.- Oct. Hate to see them go to waste but I also don't want to waste time & effort if they're not good.

Reactions: JARHEAD

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Set them aside and spread them out someplace dry and they will ripe. I have tons of black walnut trees on the property and we get a bumper crop every year, along with paw-paws, buckeyes and a few others. Working on acorns, which no one in the valley that I know of are successful getting one to grow to its maturity. I'm a little hard-headed because I'm giving them another go in the front yard. So far so good. Plan on planting more. I have one in the woods at one of my hunting locations that should be ready to produce any year now. Haven't been over there since winter time so, I hope to see acorns over there when I make my way there this year.

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
I hear the deer love them
They love the leaves on the those trees, not the nuts. Only squirrels enjoy them that I know of. Never seen a deer eat them and they have utter endless access to them around my place. The outer shell of the nut is extremely hard, I think too hard for the deer and the chuck is super bitter 🤮

Last edited: