Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Arizona Elk Journal.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
This morning i decided to head back and get within 100 yards of that area and do some cold calling. About 200 yards before i got to the spot i glasses him about 100 yards ahead. He now had a couple cows and a small spike with him. He had also started wallowing. Unfortunately he ran down a drainage in front of me going away. I thought i had spooked him again but he came up the other side pushing a cow. He pushed her by us about 150 yards to our right and there wasn't a shot. I tried to cow call some and he was flat non-responsive. The spike did however come in to the calls and give me a 34 yard broadside shot. On day 13 of the 14 day hunt his ass would have been toast but not on day 2.

They still aren't bugeling but it's early still. By Tuesday it should bust loose. The rubbing activity has picked up and so have the wallows. The bulls are just now starting to round up cows which is a great time to be in the woods.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Tonight I'm sitting a wallow hoping one of those bastards wants to come get stunk up.
20190914_153032.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Dream hunt!

Anyone can do it. I'll be applying and building points again next February. It might be 8-10 years before i hunt Arizona again but there are OTC tags in other states for elk. I haven't even experienced a true elk rut yet but this is a blast. When that 1000 pound freaking bramah bull with horse legs jumped up i about shit myself. No joke i bet he was 7 foot at the head and add another 4 foot of beams sticking straight up on top of that.

Here is a size comparison. These Arizona bulls are not your smaller northern bulls. Some of you have met my FIL on the left, he is a big dude and 6'1. His brother is 6'6. This is an Arizona bull his brother shot two years ago.
793653_4909869439325_307581133_o.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
That's a huge animal

Glad they haven't figured out they can kill us like bears and moose have, that would make this trip a lot more hairy.

While cutting across a drainage outside camp to get to a water hole about a mile away i kept seeing cattle dung flipped over. Figured it was turkeys, then i saw rocks flipped over. Nope, it's a bear. They're only black bears but i still don't want to meet one in the dark while walking back to camp here in an hour even with a 10+1 .45..

Fletch

Supporting Member
Glad they haven't figured out they can kill us like bears and moose have, that would make this trip a lot more hairy.

While cutting across a drainage outside camp to get to a water hole about a mile away i kept seeing cattle dung flipped over. Figured it was turkeys, then i saw rocks flipped over. Nope, it's a bear. They're only black bears but i still don't want to meet one in the dark while walking back to camp here in an hour even with a 10+1 .45..

I wouldn't worry about them black fur balls... Most will run the other way when you bump into them... Now I'm sure there are mountain lions there... Gotta wonder how many have been checking you out that you haven't seen... So watch your backside on those hikes back to camp in the dark....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I wouldn't worry about them black fur balls... Most will run the other way when you bump into them... Now I'm sure there are mountain lions there... Gotta wonder how many have been checking you out that you haven't seen... So watch your backside on those hikes back to camp in the dark....

There are. Place is a hunters dream. Antelope, couse deer, whitetails, mule deer, elk, black bear, javalena, mountain lion. All in the same national forest.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Was back in the same spot this morning and had him at 125 through some pines. He was just on the wrong side of the pine cluster. He went down behind a small rise and I lost sight of which way he went. He isn't bugeling yet but there was one out there a ways off bugeling. I didn't want to force it just yet considering he obviously feels safe where he is and that's three mornings in a row he's been there. I did do some calling and small bull bugles and he didn't answer or even come over for a look. He's just not hot yet. I have 11 days left and he's going to start being protective of his herd soon. I'll be back in there in the morning playing the wind and hopefully i can get in that thicket.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Maybe get there as he comes in after the morning when the sun comes up as he beds in that location. Wind should be in your favor as the thermals are rising. In the evenings go where he is going when you see him move down. Idk just spit balling.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Maybe get there as he comes in after the morning when the sun comes up as he beds in that location. Wind should be in your favor as the thermals are rising. In the evenings go where he is going when you see him move down. Idk just spit balling.

Yeah that's what I've been doing. The wind dictates everything. I don't have a solid bead on where he's coming from or when he gets there. He could be beating me there before the sun comes up. I'm pretty sure he's watering down in a canyon and coming back up to the top of the mesa, but when is he getting there is the question. The only way in has the wind at a crosswind and not directly in my face so i have to be cautious that i don't pass him and put myself upwind. That would be impossible in the dark as i have to glasses my way forward. However it's very helpful if i see him and terrain will let me circle downwind.

The rut is heating up, rubs are showing up everywhere, bulls are gathering cows, allows are starting to be used and they're starting to bugle. Its only a matter of time until he's screaming his head off.

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
Love the updates!!! Have you see any of those two point racks around camp you were chasing during your drive ??

Good luck and hope ya stick that bull!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk