Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

3 of 6 for the year!

Had another successful track this morning up in Darke County. We arrived at the 15 hour mark and walked back to the hit site and Finley immediately jumped on the track heading toward the hunters last blood. When we got there, she had a little bit of trouble deciphering which direction to go and there was a fence there so I found an opening and walked her out to see if there was any sign. She had zero interest so I walked her back in and put her back where we stopped.

She make a couple of loops and figured out where the deer exited and she was off again. When talking afterwards, this is where the hunter and family searched the area and backed out, so it makes sense in hindsight but I'm proud that she was able to work it out on her own. She led out out into an open field where I started seeing faint sign ever 30 yards or so, so I knew to just let her work. She brought us back into the woods and down a tree line then into the standing corn. I had a hard time keeping up and getting tangled so I dropped the leash and followed along and suddenly the end of the leash disappeared!

After a minute it got really quiet so I tried to recall her and she wasn't coming, which was SUPER unusual so I called the hunter on the 2-way and told him I thing we may have his deer, but I don't don't where lol. After about 5 calls she came walking up so we headed back to where she came from and there his stud of a buck was laying. This was another excellent show of Finley maturing and another happy hunter! In the end she tracked it 1250 yards and I couldn't be happier.

On to the next track!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231021_102307_onX Hunt.jpg
    Screenshot_20231021_102307_onX Hunt.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 113
  • 20231021_095652.jpg
    20231021_095652.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 110

Stressless

Keene, OH
Thanks for sharing and the detail. Good stuff, as a Learning Moment for those us of following along could you say where the deer you trailed were hit, the level of detail you provide on the track and the wound location may help others be better trackers. This thread is great the way it is as well, just thinking - thanks.

Thanks for sharing and the detail. Good stuff, as a Learning Moment for those us of following along could you say where the deer you trailed were hit, the level of detail you provide on the track and the wound location may help others be better trackers. This thread is great the way it is as well, just thinking - thanks.
Thank you. He said the deer was quartering away. I didn't see the entry would because it was on the bottom and the coyotes had eaten a lot, so I couldn't see the exit, but I believe it was one lung and liver and exited pretty far back. Thanks for the feedback, I'll add that next time. I have another track this evening so if all goes well it'll be another recovery!

Reactions: Stressless