Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2022 SHROOMS

Snyder10

Couple questions for the more experienced guys. With the frost last night and tonight, does that slow down growth even with daytime temps in the 50s/60s? With the ones that may have popped Monday and Tuesday, does the frost make the whole mushroom useless or the top that got frostbite?

JARHEAD

Behind you
Couple questions for the more experienced guys. With the frost last night and tonight, does that slow down growth even with daytime temps in the 50s/60s? With the ones that may have popped Monday and Tuesday, does the frost make the whole mushroom useless or the top that got frostbite?
Usually highs in the 70s and lows in the 50s with some recent rain will get them up pretty good. There is always exceptions but as a general rule that's when they start. If their was some up before the frost they'll either get burnt on the top first or they just fall apart. The burnt part can be Consumed or you can cut it off if you want. Next week looks to be getting right temperature wise so you better get out there. Good luck.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Resized_20220427_174521.jpeg

Sauger

Warsaw
The frost could burn the tops of them but they are still good to eat. The mushrooms are all about the soil temps. With the cool days and the frosty nights it will slow them down. Mid next week should be great

Reactions: GoetsTalon

Bankfish

How do you fix up the pheasant backs? Any chance of misidentifying them and killing myself?
I deep fried mine in a tempura style batter, seasoned up with cayenne and black pepper, little garlic powder and salt. Some horsey style sauce for dipping.
I don't know of any poisonous look-alikes, they're fairly easy to identify. I'm no expert by far and easily identified them. They smell like cucumbers or watermelon. You will have to scrape the spores off the underside, they should scrape easily with a spoon if not too old. My wife preferred the oysters, I couldn't tell much difference. Good luck.

Reactions: Sgt Fury