Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2021 Muzzleloader Season

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Big bodied slick head

Attachments

• IMG_76881.jpg
    IMG_76881.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 175

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
I thought I read shotshell primers for BH209?

Damn, just looked again and your right.... Oh well back too the drawing board 😂
I‘ll give em a try and see what kind of results I get.

I am currently using the same primers as you with no issues, just wanted to let you know incase you came across some M ones.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
So yesterday I was saving one spot close to home for the last evening. As far as I knew there hadn't been anybody in there. Had been hunting my place the whole time and not seeing much of anything with the exception of hitting that tree Sunday morning. Had not seen a deer in the previous 3 evening sits. So anyhow I get off work early and get to my spot at 330. Had to clear a few limbs. Got set. Perfect wind. Ground spot 150 yards from the woods. Deer usually feed into the bean stubble in the evening and make their way across to where I'm positioned. I'm there 15 to 20 minutes and all the sudden up in the woods right where I expect the deer to come from I hear a FN chainsaw!. Son of a bitch someone is cutting wood on the last evening of muzzleloader. So the saw keeps running and running. I gotta make a decision, and quick. I decide to bail out and head all the way back to my place. By the time i walk out, get to the vehicle, drive home, then make the half mile walk back to the blind in the mud..its 430. I quickly get set up and soon after I hear all kinds of squirrels in the woods barking like crazy. Usually when they do that there are deer around. Around 450 i see movement coming down low thru the trees. Deer legs. 3 of them come to the corn pile. I pick the largest doe. Bam. Didn't go 20. Dropped her right there. 30 minutes to spare. Sometimes things don't always go your way but they work out in the end. Just another example of that.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Congratulations to all the successful hunters during the 2021 muzzleloader season, and thank you for participating and sharing with all of us within this thread!

I certainly appreciate all the fellowship and comradery displayed within this place and can't thank you all enough in making life more pleasurable for me.

So, thank you all very much!

And to those that are still at it, I truly hope and pray that you too become successful in accomplishing the deer harvest you hope for. Best of luck to you all!

Sincerely,

Denny - a.k.a. Wildlife

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I thought I read shotshell primers for BH209?

Damn, just looked again and your right.... Oh well back too the drawing board 😂
I‘ll give em a try and see what kind of results I get.
Use standard shotshell primers for BH209

from their website-

Blackhorn 209 is designed to work with standard 209 shotshell primers. For the best results, we recommend the following brands:

• CCI 209M
  • Federal 209A
We DO NOT recommend any of the 209 primers designated for muzzleloaders (Winchester Triple 7, CCI MZL, Federal Fusion, or Remington Kleanbore). These primers are all weaker than standard shotshell 209 primers and do not provide adequate ignition for Blackhorn 209 – especially when used in a poorly designed breech plug system. We also DO NOT recommend #11 percussion caps or musket caps.