Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2019-nCoV (Coronavirus)

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
My son who is at Univ of Cincinnati has tested positive. Started with fever and body aches. A week later and now it is just some difficulty breathing. He is 21 years old and was up to 17 miles working towards running a marathon this fall. Probably caught it at a house party his group had a few weeks ago. So far 3 out of 7 of his housemates are positive and 2 others are symptomatic.

Hope he is better soon - prayers

Reactions: finelyshedded

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Tell me if this tickles your fancy

Abbott's Fast, $5, 15-Minute, Easy-to-Use COVID-19 Antigen Test Receives FDA Emergency Use Authorization; Mobile App Displays Test Results to Help Our Return to Daily Life; Ramping Production to 50 Million Tests a Month

- Abbott's BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card is a rapid, reliable, highly portable, and affordable tool for detecting active coronavirus infections at massive scale
- Test delivers results in just 15 minutes with no instrumentation, using proven lateral flow technology with demonstrated sensitivity of 97.1% and specificity of 98.5% in clinical study
- Abbott to offer a no-charge complementary phone app, which allows people to display their BinaxNOW test results when asked by organizations where people gather, such as workplaces and schools
- Company will ship tens of millions of tests in September, ramping to 50 million tests a month at the beginning of October

NEWS PROVIDED BY
Abbott
Aug 26, 2020, 18:30 ET

ABBOTT PARK, Ill., Aug. 26, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Abbott (NYSE: ABT) announced today that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) for its BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card rapid test for detection of COVID-19 infection. Abbott will sell this test for $5. It is highly portable (about the size of a credit card), affordable and provides results in 15 minutes. BinaxNOW uses proven Abbott lateral flow technology, making it a reliable and familiar format for frequent mass testing through their healthcare provider. With no equipment required, the device will be an important tool to manage risk by quickly identifying infectious people so they don't spread the disease to others.

Abbott’s BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card is highly portable, about the size of a credit card, and doesn’t require added equipment.

NAVICA™ is a no-charge complementary phone app, which allows people to display their BinaxNOW test results.

Abbott's BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card is a rapid, reliable and affordable tool for detecting active coronavirus infections at massive scale.

READ MORE:
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...on-to-50-million-tests-a-month-301119289.html

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Tell me if this tickles your fancy

Abbott's Fast, $5, 15-Minute, Easy-to-Use COVID-19 Antigen Test Receives FDA Emergency Use Authorization; Mobile App Displays Test Results to Help Our Return to Daily Life; Ramping Production to 50 Million Tests a Month

- Abbott's BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card is a rapid, reliable, highly portable, and affordable tool for detecting active coronavirus infections at massive scale
- Test delivers results in just 15 minutes with no instrumentation, using proven lateral flow technology with demonstrated sensitivity of 97.1% and specificity of 98.5% in clinical study
- Abbott to offer a no-charge complementary phone app, which allows people to display their BinaxNOW test results when asked by organizations where people gather, such as workplaces and schools
- Company will ship tens of millions of tests in September, ramping to 50 million tests a month at the beginning of October

NEWS PROVIDED BY
Abbott
Aug 26, 2020, 18:30 ET

ABBOTT PARK, Ill., Aug. 26, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Abbott (NYSE: ABT) announced today that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) for its BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card rapid test for detection of COVID-19 infection. Abbott will sell this test for $5. It is highly portable (about the size of a credit card), affordable and provides results in 15 minutes. BinaxNOW uses proven Abbott lateral flow technology, making it a reliable and familiar format for frequent mass testing through their healthcare provider. With no equipment required, the device will be an important tool to manage risk by quickly identifying infectious people so they don't spread the disease to others.

Abbott’s BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card is highly portable, about the size of a credit card, and doesn’t require added equipment.

NAVICA™ is a no-charge complementary phone app, which allows people to display their BinaxNOW test results.

Abbott's BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card is a rapid, reliable and affordable tool for detecting active coronavirus infections at massive scale.

READ MORE:
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...on-to-50-million-tests-a-month-301119289.html

Wow. Abbott labs is a reputable company in the field also. This is exactly what we needed back in March to achieve containment. . Don't get me wrong it's a monumental achievement if true but containment is on a much much larger scale now.

The only worry is the massive privacy concerns with businesses who might require one before every event, flight, etc. That's ok for big things but if businesses like Walmart start to require one for entry to the store, or your local Mexican restaurant hops in the bandwagon that can get a bit stupid quick.

Reactions: Mike
My son had his first cross country meet today for HS. Finally a bit of normalcy, well sorta. I was asked to volunteer as I have in past events and at 7:30 we get the talk from the coaches on how things had to proceed. They were very nervous that people who want to shut sports down completely would be there, likely taking pictures. Almost as if they were notified or told it was bound to happen. So we were asked to keep people back from the course and if they did not have masks on we were told to ask them to return to to the parking lot and either retrieve a mask or wait and watch from their vehicle. The course went by the parking lot 3 passes so they could easily see from there so it wouldn't have been out of the question. All went great and so many people understood what we were doing. We addressed the groups of people and all seemed to be on board.

Of course til the last race of the HS girls. One dad was trying to get pics of his daughter (completely understand) and a dad of one of our boy CC runners was with him. They crossed in front of runners and went into an area where it put them right on top of the other runners as they went by on the other section of the course. I walked over and asked them to return to the viewing area where all the other parents were. The support dad decided to get mouthy and that was when I noticed he didn't have a mask on either. I simply mentioned we were instructed to keep this area clear due to Covid and all viewing was to be done from behind the flagged areas. That was when I also mentioned that he was supposed to be wearing a mask to attend. Man you would have thought I called him a MF'r or something. Everything from he didn't believe your (my) bullshit sick stuff to call the F'ng cops. He went on and on as he walked away waving his hands, pissed I would even say anything to him. Man, I understand people are frustrated with the whole thing but what the fuck are you going to do?? As soon as a couple kids get it or parents or something it will end up shut down with our governor. This I didn't get at all, to get that mad and raise that much of a scene? And it was one of our fucking parents who all were informed on what was expected of them. I had a few parents and one of the other school's CC coaches come over after seeing the confrontation and thank me for what we were doing after the race was over. Every one of them even said what can we do, we have to do this just to give our kids the chance to continue to compete.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Let it be known that the following was a CNBC interview that took place the day before the FDA just so happen to grant an "Emergency Use Authorization" of Abbott's cheap 15 minute rapid CV-19 test & Mobile Cellphone Application.

Source link below to read the entire news article and see the video interview for inquiring minds.

Ex-Google CEO Eric Schmidt says rapid coronavirus tests are needed to get America back to the office

PUBLISHED TUE, AUG 25 20201:35 PM EDTUPDATED TUE, AUG 25 20206:29 PM EDT

KEY POINTS
  • “There’s plenty of technology that allows for rapid testing, and with rapid testing, corporations could open. People could go to work,” former Google CEO Eric Schmidt told CNBC.
  • Schmidt criticized Washington politicians for not emphasizing rapid testing in earlier coronavirus relief packages.
  • “In those trillions of dollars, we did not put in place the necessary structures to do rapid testing,” he said.
Former Google CEO Eric Schmidt told CNBC on Tuesday that the U.S. needs to further its investment in fast tests of the coronavirus in order for corporate offices to reopen in earnest.
“There’s plenty of technology that allows for rapid testing, and with rapid testing corporations could open. People could go to work,” Schmidt said on “Squawk Box.”

But America does not yet have adequate testing infrastructure in place to widely deploy quick-turnaround tests, said Schmidt, who is leading a group organized by Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo to help the New York state improve its economy in the wake of the coronavirus.
Schmidt criticized politicians in Washington for not incorporating rapid testing more prominently in earlier relief packages. “In those trillions of dollars, we did not put in place the necessary structures to do rapid testing,” he said.
Testing for the coronavirus in the U.S. has improved in recent months after it was beset by a number of challenges in the early stages of the pandemic. But the summer surge in cases, particularly in the American South and West, again put a strain on the turnaround time for testing results and illustrated the remaining shortcomings.
Schmidt, however, is referring to a different kind of coronavirus test than the lab-based diagnostic tests that have become common. There’s been a growing push for rapid tests that produce results in as little as minutes. Some of these rapid tests would be administered at home. Others could be delivered at offices or schools.
Although these tests would likely be cheaper and processed faster, there are concerns about their accuracy in detecting infections. And inaccurate results from a rapid test could create confusion, such as earlier this month when Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine erroneously tested positive ahead of a scheduled visit with President Donald Trump.

Schmidt said in his opinion, “the test specificity and accuracy of these [rapid] testing systems is quite good now. However, they’re not broadly available still. That’s a tragedy.”
Schmidt, who was Google’s CEO from 2001 to 2011, said further investment in testing for Covid-19 is needed because the virus will continue to circulate for years to come, even if not at epidemic levels.
The virus will be with us in one form or another for the rest of our lives, hopefully under control just like the flu. We will need forms of testing to make sure we keep it under control,” said Schmidt, who on Tuesday launched a podcast, called “Reimagine with Eric Schmidt,” which features conversations with world leaders on rebuilding a world changed by the coronavirus.

READ MORE: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/25/ex-...n-rapid-coronavirus-tests-return-to-work.html