Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2015 Rut Report, County, Conditions

Cardinalbuck

NE Ohio
Sat 8 hours from daylight on in Ashtabula county - no deer. Squirrels and a skunk, but no deer. I was in my stand at 5:30, and a couple of knuckleheads drive an atv and a pickup into the field to my east at 5 minutes before legal light. I'm sure that didn't help. Had to get back to my family so couldn't sit the afternoon.

Did find one good size scrape and a rub on my way out . I won't be back in the woods for a few weeks so that's the last of my rut hunting for this season. Damn.

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
Cruising into town this evening about 5:20pm I drove by a stretch of public ground. I was glancing in the woods and as I approached a gnarly thicket there he was in all his glory about 10 yards into the woods. A beautiful clean 10. Rack was tall, wide and carried good mass all the way through. He was easily pushing 150"s. About the time I got stopped I noticed the doe he had with him, they got nervous and bounced back a few yards. Such a cool sight!

Hogheadjeremy

Earth
Cruising into town this evening about 5:20pm I drove by a stretch of public ground. I was glancing in the woods and as I approached a gnarly thicket there he was in all his glory about 10 yards into the woods. A beautiful clean 10. Rack was tall, wide and carried good mass all the way through. He was easily pushing 150"s. About the time I got stopped I noticed the doe he had with him, they got nervous and bounced back a few yards. Such a cool sight!

Hi, new to the site and Just wondering if anybody has a good report for Seneca county?

Jal5

Jefferson Co was extremely active this weekend. Saw 7 deer yesterday morning plus deer being chased behind the stand. A good mature buck came in front broadside. 20 yd shot xbow. He moved off 10 yds laid down then moved again another 10 yds laid down. I couldnt clearly see into thicket. This is around 430 pm. So i get down at 5pm. Lots of blood trail full blood on arrow. 4 of us looked for 3 hrs. Till blood stopped. Today 2 hrs but couldn't find him. I'm feeling sick. Nice 8 pt with stickers. Oh yeah while searching i saw a doe being chased by a buck and on a neighbors yard one if the biggest bucks I've seen in a long time.

buckcrazy1

uploadfromtaptalk1447040362648.jpguploadfromtaptalk1447040401363.jpguploadfromtaptalk1447040729891.jpguploadfromtaptalk1447040751239.jpguploadfromtaptalk1447040795660.jpg

buckcrazy1

He makes the 3rd of my 5 bow bucks that I've mounted which I killed between 10am-3pm, if you don't hunt midday during the rut, ur missing out on the most action, in my opinion. He came running over a ridge about 60 yards in front of me and literally ran directly underneath me and only stopped because when I took my glove off of my trigger hand I accidentally dropped it on the ground, it happened SO fast, but it hit the ground literally a yard in front of him as he ran underneath me and he stopped and turned around as I drew my bow, he took maybe 4 steps back in front of me, barely clearing the platform of my climber and I put a rage right beside his spine, through his right lung and heart and it exited the bottom of his chest! He ran about 35 yards and I watched him do the Death Wobble:) from the time I saw him to the time he tipped over miiiight have been 15 seconds total, max. He isn't what I was after this year but I had to make a quick decision, but I'm happy with him. Hrs a special buck for me because today marks exactly one month since my best friend and hunting buddy died and this buck came hauling ass right at me for absolutely no reason. I didn't rattle or grunt, he wasn't chasing a doe, but he ended up stopping directly underneath me and I smoked him and got to watch him die. I can't help but to think that my buddy was there with me and pushed this buck right too me, ya know? So I decided to get him mounted in the honor of my best friend! He rough grossed 137, his main beams almost touch, just a cool, clean10. Good luck to everybody the rest of the season!! Make Em Bleed!

buckcrazy1

Oh yeah, I killed him in Hocking county, Wayne National state forest..the chasing just started here Saturday evening!

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
Last night I had 1 hot doe running, 3 bucks cruising. One was very nice. And ar last light the only deer standing in the field feeding were fawns.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Yesterday stunk for me . Blanked in the morn saw 8 in the evening but most were a ways off . Hopefully I'm in the right 10 acres today . Hunting Richland cty next to a big sanctuary property today .

Lundy

I spent all day in Athens county yesterday working on hunting blinds, moving, repairing, etc.

The bucks were running the does ragged all day.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
You guys need to stop bitching....I have sat 9 times so far, different stands, moved stands etc. and all I have seen is a spike this Saturday.

Something happened to my property and now it is dead...sucks!!

Isaacorps

Columbus
Franklin county, sat all day Saturday and yesterday evening and saw 0 deer. I saw 2 fresh scrapes yesterday so I don't know if it hasn't really kicked in yet and they're still making and checking scrapes or what. All in all a frustrating weekend for what should theoretically should be prime time