Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

You Wack em We Track em

Trackman

SW Ohio
I got a call on Tues at 1pm about a deer shot the night before. The shot was straight down through the top of the deer and was a complete pass through. Everything I am going to tell you is from my phone conversation with the 3B outdoors team from Tenn. Now they were hunting in Ohio down by the river in Aberdeen. I never put my hound on the track or myself, I just gave advise and told them what I would do for the situation. Ok the deer is hit he bolts and they give him a few hours before taking up the trail.
They tracked the deer with the blood trail he left behind to his bed where he busted out of and disappeared. Naturally they pulled out and called it for the night to give him more time. The next day they took the trail back up and was able to follow blood to several more beds but no dead or even a peak of this wounded buck. This is when they contacted me. After hearing everything in detail they asked if my hound would be able to follow the buck. I said sure he can but lets talk about something first. Are you still able to follow blood by sight? They said yes there is still blood and it is wet blood at that. Then I told them it sounded like to me the buck was maybe one lunged and on his feet. The reason for the wet blood. I explained to them that if I come out with the hound they are not allowed to carry their bows. Just a law. My suggestion is to keep pushing this buck so he will continue to bleed. I then explained to them that when a deer stops moving its heart rate slows down and they can rejuvenate blood very fast. If you keep him moving he cant do that and will get weak as his blood pressure drops. you might have a chance at catching up to him at this point and get close enough to put another arrow in him. Long story short they took the advise and got 15 yards to the buck because he was weak and got a second shot on him that did the job. I wanted to share this even though I never touched the ground because this dosent happen very often and its a true testimony of dedication and skill. They told me they covered 3.5 miles on the track and it would def take that to do what they did. It takes a lot to push these deer to no return. Not sure of the lay of the land but I know there are some big tracks in that area. I would bet it wasn't a straight line either! The hunter who killed this buck with a story that will last a lifetime was Richie Mason 3B outdoors.jpg

Trackman

SW Ohio
Now the scenario of pushing a deer to his end is not for every shot and situation. This was just one that it was perfect for. Gut and liver shots are naturally ones we don't push. I recommend giving those deer min 12 hrs. Also on another note I took a 800 mile road trip yesterday to pick up my new pup. He is my future in tracking. I have been waiting awhile for this one and something came up that gave me the opportunity to get him. He is a 4 month old Slovakian Kopov. any ideas on dog names for the new tracker?

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I got $100 that says they didn't have permission every where they went. 3.5 miles is a LONG time ways. I have a hard time believing people that aren't from that area knew or could find all those landowners. Just the first thought that came to mind.

Second thought is you gave them great advice. Glad to see it worked!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great advice you gave them and very nice buck! Glad he found it! I agree with Jesse though, that's a lot of ground to cover! Love the name Phil suggested! Chance

Trackman

SW Ohio
Yes 3.5 miles is a long way. I cant speak for property issues as I wasn't there. I have been on some ground where it could be done but they are few and far between. I have taken a few tracks right around the 2 mile mark. We had to get permission more than once to continue. Probably a safe BET!

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Last year I tracked the buck I shot for right around 3.5 miles. He did a big circle and went through a few properties that were only an acre or two. I got to meet all the neighbors that night, knocking on doors wearing camo and holding a flashlight lol. Given permission at all those spots and I think I ended up knocking on 5 different doors. Two of the properties I already had permission on but what a pain. No happy ending to that story other than the buck is still alive and I get to chase him again this year.

Trackman

SW Ohio
Its been pretty slow the last few days around here. Last track we were on was Sunday afternoon. No recovery but a successful track for us the same. Track was 20 hrs old and was unsure of shot. Buck had been tracked about 300 yards with no bed. Usually not the best sign but never know until we take up the track. Once I got to the hit site and inspected the area and the hit site I definitely had some doubts. Arrow was clean of blood and had little meat with a few tiny pieces of fat on fletching. So I put the hound on the line and told him to find em. He locked right on and made the 300 yards pretty short. I was liking the work he was doing as it looked like he was on a rail. We made it to the end of the visible blood drops and he began searching not tracking. I let him go a little ways and then brought him back to last blood. Still not locking on and searching. So I thought we better look a little closer and start working it backwards. Sure enough this buck did a 75-100 yard backtrack. perfectly down the same line he came up. We worked the backtrack and picked him back up and the hound was locked on big time again. Long story short the hound took the track for over a 1000 yards and I feel very confident this buck is still alive. Prob. wont be much trackin this weekend as it is doe only. I will track does but don't get many calls for them. I tracked one last year. Best of luck guys.

Trackman

SW Ohio
I just published my website. I built this thing myself and I am no web designer but I am happy with my out come. Everything is original and 100% mine. I had a kinda jacked up blog before this and I think this will be more useful for hunters searching for a tracker. www.OhioTrackingHounds.com