Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Who's hunting Monday and Tuesday?

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Have been sick the past week but finally made it out this evening.Sat in a stand and it was brisk out but not bad wearing my cabelas stand hunter bibs and parka.Took the crossbow and saw 3 small bucks and 10 does.Not a bad sit.Hopefully the rest of the season won't be too bad.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
She's a big one! I gotta dress her out, story later. Won't be able TOO save the heart on her!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389142453722.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389142453722.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 104
  • uploadfromtaptalk1389142480325.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389142480325.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 107

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Big doe down! First deer I've ever killed on our land! Pics will follow shortly. I'm waiting on my brother to come help drag.

Help to drag? I thought you were 7'8" tall and 400lbs? You need help dragging? Lol

Congrats on a nice doe on your own land. That is great stuff!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Thanks everyone! I'm working on the story now in the hunt recap thread.
I just now realized that the hunt recap thread is in the bow hunting section. Shot her with the smoke pole, oh well:)

Last edited:

Shoulder Blade

Was out tonight for 2 hours, public land, propped up against a tree. Didn't see a thing, but I did walk in 1/4 mile fully layered and was extremely comfortable during the walk. Never overheated!

I had 6 layers on the legs, 6 layers up top, and a nice pair of wool gloves which I jammed into a log-type fleece hand warmer. That warmer had to small air activated warmers I put in it but they didn't really get too warm. My hands were very warm regardless.

I had a heavy duty knit ski mask and put another over that when I stopped walking. I used a pair of snowboarding goggles on my walk in but they started to fog up a bit.

My biggest problem was water vapor from my breath freezing on my eyelashes. At times my eyes froze shut for a sec until I warmed them up.

After a while my rubber boots were getting "cool" but the air activated insoles I put in there helped. My artic shield boot blankets were frozen together in my backpack from a previous hunt.

After an hour I could feel a cool draft developing in my top layer in the arms and neck area.

All in all with pac boots, a larger overcoat, and tucking my ski masks into my existing coat better, I could have done at least a half day.

I was glad I sorta pushed my equipment and myself a bit today.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Sounds like you have a good setup! I don't know if you have any of those adhesive toe warmers but I stuck two on each side about 6 inches below my armpit. I stuck them on my second layer and they worked real good!

Gordo

Athens County
I was hovering over my little buddy heater last night. Ground Blind is the way to roll when its thats frigid. Still a cold ass walk to the truck

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I guided 2 buck kills over the last 3 days...terrible weather, but we got 2 nice bucks down...firsts for both hunters!