Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

When do you finalize your game plan?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am generally not a morning hunter early season either. However, I should add that I have one spot where bucks have been coming thru in the mornings. IF the winds are right, I will try this spot before they get too random in their travels.

Game plan? Some of the bucks I am after were hitting minerals and salt daily in June-July. This has changed. The killing spot I have picked out has gone from every few days to maybe every week to 10 days. My current game plan is to check the dates they have used this path. I will go back into historical data the last 2 months on Accuweather. I want to see if there is a pattern. If the days they used this path was before or after a front, at a specific moon phase, or possibly a specific wind direction, this will really narrow down which days I will be hunting this stand. That is as close to a game plan as I have at the moment. Otherwise, it is a matter of sneaking into and out of this stand as stealth like as I can and putting in seat time waiting for the right day for them to walk past.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Not sure if I will morning hunt. Not all sure what I will do for the evening. May just go do hunt with a buddy. Probably walk in with my climber and go up a tree somewhere that looks good. Its too early for me to get serious. Often I feel like I am doin more harm than good hunting. early season.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I am only hunting the mornings this weekend because I can and because I want to be in a tree so bad I can't stand it. Both places I plan on going are easy access stands that I rarely, if ever, bump deer while accessing. After this weekend is out, I won't be hunting the mornings until the weekend of the 27-28th...

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
I am ready as I ever have been for the first day, I will be hunting a spot that this guy has been moving through almost every morning returning to his bed, they are calling for a N/NE wind Saturday morning and is almost perfect for this spot and the best thing is that there is a ground blind left of this picture less than 20 yards away.

nice 8 1.jpgnice 8 2.jpg

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
We're supposed to have a plan? Oh crap, I bet get one together!

just kidding. I have a couple spots in mind, I'll just have to wait and see what the wind does. I intend to get there early. I've noticed a couple other stands pop up the last couple weeks so i want to get there first and let the new guys push them to me.
I can only hunt a couple hours in the morning on saturday and then be freed up for all day on sunday.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I won't get out until Tuesday evening, and that will be Kate's first hunt after the ten. Wednesday morning I will go out and try to bust a doe, then it will be back to the blind with Kate for round two (of needed). If he doesn't show, I will bust a doe from the blind, as they are out there every evening. That will be the extent of my hunting for the first week.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I won't get out until Tuesday evening, and that will be Kate's first hunt after the ten. Wednesday morning I will go out and try to bust a doe, then it will be back to the blind with Kate for round two (of needed). If he doesn't show, I will bust a doe from the blind, as they are out there every evening. That will be the extent of my hunting for the first week.

So there is a chance we get to see Kate's second kill on video?

Ohiobowhunter1

Columbus
I'll be out Sunday morning hunting public land in Athens, I have a couple trees in a couple different spots but just need to wait on the final wind direction... started off E then went to N so not sure what it will be come Sunday. Good luck everyone and be safe!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Talked to Flutie last night and Katie has to work Saturday, so that means no filming. In terms of what it means for me, I'm still not certain. Kinda play it by ear now...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I still haven't found time to hang a stand where I'd like to be on Saturday. Thankfully, its a long season and I'm sure I'll get around to it. I do have one stand up close to home that should be good to go for Saturday morning. If I bother getting up, that's where I will be!

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Its looking like I may just go wack a couple does Saturday and not make a play on any bucks....although if a good one wanders by I will gladly deflate him.

huntnfool

Thornville
Game plan here is to hunt my son and go for his first kill. We just got the last double stand set today and as of right now there calling for a NNW for Saturday and then WNW for Sunday. Plan on hunting both mornings this weekend. We will miss saturday evening due to his football game but we will be in a blind Sunday night looking over a bean or oat field. Some nice bucks visiting these fields in the evening. He has every weekend till October 27 then its my turn:) Of course he says you always get the rut and hes only 8 lol.

Huckleberry Finn

Still don't have a stand picked. Still don't have a plan. Who knows....might just shoot my bow and hang a stand somewhere.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'll be in the red dot with a N-NW wind. Deer tend to use the two purple lines when traveling this area and most move from west to east in the mornings...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That's a great looking spot, Jesse. I have a feeling you'll definitely see some action on Saturday. Are you hunting in the morning or the afternoon? If morning, make sure you get there plenty early... There's a good chance of bumping deer off those acorns as you walk in.

---

This NW wind they're calling for is going to work perfectly for both sets that I'm planning on hunting. I'm going after does, but like Jake said I'll gladly deflate a nice buck if he walks by as well.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I'm hunting both morning and afternoon, but will be in a different spot in the evening. I plan to be on stand by 6 tomorrow.

Does that mean you are going to start getting up when I do. I will shoot you a text in the morning to let you know the coffee is brewing.