Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What's good TOO?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I remember people telling me the same shit 10 years ago and thinking: "How can it go faster when all you have to do is work?" Well, it does and it just keeps speeding up!

My stipulations on going back to high school are that I get to be this size and know all I know now. I'd nail that 4.0 and I'd have a lot more chances to play sports in college being 3" taller, 40 pounds heavier, and way stronger. I don't have any regrets, but it's still fun to think "what if"...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Just found out that the new rental place that went in close to our farm is renting out a Work Saver ATV disc for $29 a day. I'm thinking about picking it up this weekend to get my plots turned over the best I can right now in an effort to save me some time and effort when the hot weather arrives. For $29, it is worth seeing how well it works and if it's something I want to invest in at some point...

http://www.worksaver.com/product/atvflipdisk.html

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just found out that the new rental place that went in close to our farm is renting out a Work Saver ATV disc for $29 a day. I'm thinking about picking it up this weekend to get my plots turned over the best I can right now in an effort to save me some time and effort when the hot weather arrives. For $29, it is worth seeing how well it works and if it's something I want to invest in at some point...

http://www.worksaver.com/product/atvflipdisk.html

Hell yea, man... 29 bucks a day is a good deal. Definitely worth giving it a try!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
If it doesn't work your only out $29 and not the full price of the equipment. Looks petty cool and should be fun to mess with anyway and the plus here is..you can beat the shit out of it and take it back lol.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm going to pick it up this weekend if the weather holds and try it out on a virgin plot to see what happens. I know it will work on my existing plots if the one I have works, so the real test is on new ground. I had someone in line with a 6' tiller and 70hp tractor, but it doesn't look good for getting the tractor where I need it to go. If we get some more dozer work done this year, I'll get the tiller and big dog out there. But I want to think ahead in case I get in a pinch timing wise...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
From what I've seen in the past, those flip-disks don't really do much besides bounce all over the fuggin place on virgin ground. It depends, though... with a little bit of extra weight, and as much moisture as we've had this spring, maybe it will work over just fine for you. Either way, for 29 bucks, it'd be dumb NOT to try it. Definitely let us know how it goes.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
My wife just picked up a new job to get away from her old jackhole of a boss and a pay raise. Gotta love that!

Congrats to Momma Cottis!!! What nights does she perform?!? lmao

Lord, I apologize. But I can't help myself!!! :pickle:

What's good? My pipeline project is going along pretty well so far. I'll have my hands full, but it's giving me the oppurtunity to prove myself. My best skill is being a people person and this entire project relies heavily on me being able to make friends with these people and keep them happy. Let the country boy smoove roll on out!!!

Huckleberry Finn

Let the country boy smoove roll on out!!!

Yes Sir, No Ma'am. I am right there with you. You're not kidding me. I'll tell you what... Back Home. It's kinda hard to believe...

I am right there with you man. And the part that's effective is that you're not putting on a front like a carsalesman, you're just being you and people love it! They can smell that honesty.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Congrats to Momma Cottis!!! What nights does she perform?!? lmao

Lord, I apologize. But I can't help myself!!! :pickle:

What's good? My pipeline project is going along pretty well so far. I'll have my hands full, but it's giving me the oppurtunity to prove myself. My best skill is being a people person and this entire project relies heavily on me being able to make friends with these people and keep them happy. Let the country boy smoove roll on out!!!

Ha! I'm telling on you.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I am right there with you man. And the part that's effective is that you're not putting on a front like a carsalesman, you're just being you and people love it! They can smell that honesty.

The two guys I met with last night, we hunters and farmers. We talked deer, turkeys, Herfords, fence, hay, coyotes, ATV's, boots, and more. Rather than priss around in khakis and a polo like most landmen, I was in Muck boots, jeans, and my camo rain jacket with a big chaw of Redman. (Which I later shared with the old farmer.) Even I can't fuck up making friends with those guys!!!

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
The two guys I met with last night, we hunters and farmers. We talked deer, turkeys, Herfords, fence, hay, coyotes, ATV's, boots, and more. Rather than priss around in khakis and a polo like most landmen, I was in Muck boots, jeans, and my camo rain jacket with a big chaw of Redman. (Which I later shared with the old farmer.) Even I can't fuck up making friends with those guys!!!

Thats most likely because you know what youre getting into out there. I can imagine most of them guys how up like you said, tippy toeing through the mud waving their hands in the air. "Hey, wait for me guys" LOL

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Thats most likely because you know what youre getting into out there. I can imagine most of them guys how up like you said, tippy toeing through the mud waving their hands in the air. "Hey, wait for me guys" LOL

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of country boys in the land business. But the new generation and the guys that are from the corporate word, are not cut out for what I did last night. How they ever negotiate with people like the fellers I met last night, is beyond me. It's the one part of my job I love the most. If I could have had a beer last night, I might have stayed on the porch of that cabin until dark-thirty!!!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
You are exactly right Jesse, people will buy into you before they buy into the business. I have a cousin that is in Direct Sales and he always tells me "people buy the person, before they buy the product". If someone knows you are a down home good ole' boy, you are going to be a lot easier to deal with than some stuck up corporate prick (as they see it in their eyes).

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
That's the approach that I take with my job. I also try to do a good job of distancing myself from the the decisions that will piss them off. My standard line is: "I'm here to act as a fact finder. I want you to tell me what you want/expect out of this deal. Some things I can say yes/no today because of company policies. Anything outside of that, I'll take it back to the office and show the decision makers what I have learned. They'll give me answer and I'll be back to talk to you. I don't make decisions, I just facilitate the process." I feel once I explain that to them, it helps me make the people in the office the "bad people" while I'm still wearing the white cowboy hat. (Which is a phrase my boss uses all the time!) I rarely offer money until I've heard a price from them. It keeps me from shooting the moon or falling flat on my face right out of the gate. 99% of people have a number in mind, and it's mostly something I can work with. When it's way out of the ball park, I go into "fact finder" mode and let the people in the office be the bad guys! LOL!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Fugg it. It's been almost a month since I've checked cams and I have nothing to do tonight. Guess I do now!!! I got my fingers crossed that there's something on there to get excited about!!!

Huckleberry Finn

Dude I can't wait to get out there and be doing that! If you don't think that this college kid with a backwoods education is going to be wheelin and dealin!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Finally got to take the poles out... I got outfished by a 10 year old