Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What is an acceptable group to you?

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
View attachment 47781

Needed to clear my mind before a big meeting today. The flyer was sitting on my ass and were shot from 40 yards. Still need some pin adjustment, but I'm almost in control of the operator at this point.

Good deal Jesse! Hey, we killed the same buck! rotflmao

This was my one and only group I shot from 40 so far and was shot while shooting with Karissa this past weekend. Some might think it's a scoach low but that's right where I want it in case the deer I'm shooting at jumps the string any prior to the arrow arriving.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Been trying to set aside my "bad arrows." These are the 3 which keep shooting to the left. This is 40yds. I do have a strong breeze blowing today which could be pushing them further left. I will set aside and shoot on a calm day to see if it makes a difference. This will be 4/12 in the dozen I fletched which shoot to the left.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

Oops. Forgot pic.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

Here are the 3 "good arrows" of the 6 I was shooting today at 40yds. Touch high but good to go left to right. Guess it isn't the wind.

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Good deal Jesse! Hey, we killed the same buck! rotflmao

This was my one and only group I shot from 40 so far and was shot while shooting with Karissa this past weekend. Some might think it's a scoach low but that's right where I want it in case the deer I'm shooting at jumps the string any prior to the arrow arriving.

Nice shooting, dude

MoonLab

Supporting Member
Tooville
Nice shooting ya'll. Wish i could hit the wood. I havent beeing practicing in a week because of truck in shop

MoonLab

Supporting Member
Tooville
If my next door neighbor isnt home and i would go onto their driveway for 25 yard shot to target in my garage

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I have couple times but not enough room and houses around me are too close.... too many people around and kids i dont wanna make the mistake.

About 15 years ago my neighbors put up a swimming pool 3' behind my backstop lol....
Yeah I didn't want to be that guy either lol...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mason and I shot a few today. The three orange arrows are mine, his are green. This was at 40. He's ready. As soon as I dust of my Excalibur, I'll be ready too! :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 121

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I agree, Ric, and I'll be sure to tell him you said so! I just get lucky sometimes, he's going to have real talent if he sticks with it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dang. That is some fantastic shooting! Again, making me feel inadequate. Oh well. Bottom line, my groups are getting smaller. I know MY maximum yardage on live deer.

I do believe this thread is good for many people. I know I started it, but for lurkers or those who have been wondering, there has been some excellent input. Hopefully many people have benefited in reading along.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Phil, if you think you have room to improve and want to, remember that after a person learns the basics, it's all mental. As an example, you see that Mason can drive nails at 40 yards. He dropped that one shot a couple of inches, but a deer would never know the difference. However, when he stepped back to 50 tonight, he fell apart. 30 feet does NOT make much difference, but tonight, in his mind it did. Mathematically, if his mind allowed him, his group at 50 would have been very similar. If a person shoots 2" groups consistently at 20 yards, making the exact same shots at 40 should result in 4" groups. No greater skill needed, but our minds fool us into thinking otherwise sometimes.