Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tree Stand Height

Ricer2231

I prefer to be around 25 ft, but sometimes my stands a little higher or lower depending on the tree itself. I've had stands as high as 42' and 45', both those were rarities... The 45-footer was a gun only stand, overlooking a wide open swamp. The 42-footer was at the base of a steep ridge finger, which put my back side (to the ridge) around 25'.

42'-45'!!! How do ya keep your nose from bleeding? Haha that is just entirely too high for me. I hunted out of a buddies stand one time. He had trouble with people being in his stand that weren't supposed to be so he put his steps in around the tree so at one time you had to actually climb on the downhill side of the tree. To top that he set his stand at 35'. Needless to say I only hunted that stand one time.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
42'-45'!!! How do ya keep your nose from bleeding? Haha that is just entirely too high for me. I hunted out of a buddies stand one time. He had trouble with people being in his stand that weren't supposed to be so he put his steps in around the tree so at one time you had to actually climb on the downhill side of the tree. To top that he set his stand at 35'. Needless to say I only hunted that stand one time.

You're crazy Jim.

12-18, I'm a low baller!

Like I said, those two were rarities. The gun season stand was in an old pin oak that was thicker than hell with branches. I didn't even need any screw-in steps for that one.

I am actually deathly afraid of heights... tall heights. But for whatever reason, I don't get scared while in a treestand. I don't know if it's because I feel in control, or that I'm wearing a harness, or what.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I am actually deathly afraid of heights... tall heights. But for whatever reason, I don't get scared while in a treestand. I don't know if it's because I feel in control, or that I'm wearing a harness, or what.

I'm the same way. I prefer 20'+ in the climber and my ladder stands are 18'.

Our place down there we have several different heights ranging from 15 to 25 ft. and if we use a climber sometimes higher. With the hills and valleys higher might only mean you end up 15 ft. above where the animal passes. Plan to get a couple ladder stands this year that are no less than 20 ft. to the platform and where those will go it would be relatively level ground.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
In my younger days, I would go to 28". Over the years I have come down to an average 15-18' depending on cover and background. I think the key that brought my stands lower (besides getting old and fat) was having a few successful still and ground stalk hunts.

Shoulder Blade

I ranged the ground below while in my tree last nite... I have a10yard drop :) due to a slope most of my shots are from 10-20' above the animal. I eat 10 feet cause the tree is near the bottom of the hill. My buddy owns a tree company and climbs trees for a living so sometimes he climbs really high.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
With age comes wisdom. :) I've hunted from quite a few stands I would not consider climbing now that I can't touch my toes. I also have two acquaintences that are now paralyzed from the waist down. Ladder stands in clumps of trees are about the only way I'll get off the ground now. Still use a climber once in a while. The only time I hunted from a hang on this year was when I had 'em strapped to the back of a tree that Mason was hunting with a ladder stand. I know people kill deer from really high stands every year, but don't understand why. I shot one at about 25 yards from a 30' stand several years ago, and it felt like I was shooting straight down. That isn't for me.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
With age comes wisdom. :) I've hunted from quite a few stands I would not consider climbing now that I can't touch my toes. I also have two acquaintences that are now paralyzed from the waist down. Ladder stands in clumps of trees are about the only way I'll get off the ground now. Still use a climber once in a while. The only time I hunted from a hang on this year was when I had 'em strapped to the back of a tree that Mason was hunting with a ladder stand. I know people kill deer from really high stands every year, but don't understand why. I shot one at about 25 yards from a 30' stand several years ago, and it felt like I was shooting straight down. That isn't for me.

IMO, being higher up makes me less likely to be spotted by a deer. I don't care how good your backdrop cover is, you're still more likely to be spotted at 15' than I am at 25 or 30'. Are my shot angles steeper?... Sure, but I've never had any problems making a shot when needed. There will always be pro's and con's to hunting high and low. For me personally, I think my chances of being successful are better when hunting high.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Rick, does smoking your clothes help with that now? I'm thinking about joining you smokers next year.

Yes it does! I haven't changed my height any. The combo is great.....Have noticed very few deer paying any attention to my approach path now that I use the smoker.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
IMO, being higher up makes me less likely to be spotted by a deer. I don't care how good your backdrop cover is, you're still more likely to be spotted at 15' than I am at 25 or 30'. Are my shot angles steeper?... Sure, but I've never had any problems making a shot when needed. There will always be pro's and con's to hunting high and low. For me personally, I think my chances of being successful are better when hunting high.

We'll just say this goes back to the terrain you hunt. I will say this, I think you are dead wrong. If you were in my neighborhood, I would prove it to you. I do not get "skylined". This is flat terrain, I promise you, high stands are a disadvantage here in most cases.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We'll just say this goes back to the terrain you hunt. I will say this, I think you are dead wrong. If you were in my neighborhood, I would prove it to you. I do not get "skylined". This is flat terrain, I promise you, high stands are a disadvantage here in most cases.

I've hunted flat terrain for plenty of years as well... I grew up hunting flat terrain. I'm not necessarily talking about getting "skylined." What I'm saying is, there's less chance of being spotted due to MOVEMENT when you're up higher... i.e. grabbing your bow, standing up, reaching for binoculars, etc. No matter what terrain I've hunted on, in no way has hunting higher been a disadvantage to me.