Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Transfer Switches

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Alrighty ... it's all a done deal. This was pretty slick. The electric guy arrived sooner than anticipated & we ended up talking smokers for 1/2 an hr to begin with since he saw one of mine. Hooking this up took a few minutes. He popped off the meter, installed the Generlink with one wire & then popped the meter back on - to the face of the generlink. He explained the how's & to's. I then pulled out my generator & did some practice runs. No fire dept was involved ! We then talked dogs & bow hunting. It was a great morning. Also, he said that these generlinks can be taken with you if you move, or wanna take it elsewhere & use it.... as long as the somewhere else is using the same electric company. He never had to go inside the house.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Alrighty ... it's all a done deal. This was pretty slick. The electric guy arrived sooner than anticipated & we ended up talking smokers for 1/2 an hr to begin with since he saw one of mine. Hooking this up took a few minutes. He popped off the meter, installed the Generlink with one wire & then popped the meter back on - to the face of the generlink. He explained the how's & to's. I then pulled out my generator & did some practice runs. No fire dept was involved ! We then talked dogs & bow hunting. It was a great morning. Also, he said that these generlinks can be taken with you if you move, or wanna take it elsewhere & use it.... as long as the somewhere else is using the same electric company. He never had to go inside the house.

Great to hear Kevin! Can you take a picture of your install? Is the plug right on the box behind the meter? Would it be possible to run the plug to an inside area? I would like to be able to run my generator in the garge if needed - exhausted properly to keep it out of the elements or theives hands should SHTF.

I was really leaning toward a 6, 10, or 12 (at most) circuit transfer switch. Looks like the generlink is easier to install since it feeds the entire panel.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I almost took pics, but I'll do ya one better ... just type in 'generlink installation" in your search engine. I had originally planned on buying my own 30 amp 40 ft cord & I'm glad I had the electric co give me theirs, which was cheaper anyhow. A 20 ft would have come with it just the same at no extra charge, ... BUT the hookup is different than anything else, so you need theirs. The cord goes from the meter to your generator. That's the only wire you mess with. I just can't beleive how simple this is, after all the studying I've done about all the other types of transfer switches. There will be a green light underneath showing power has been restored, or things are operating normal without a generator.

Last edited:

hammerhead

i emailed them about it for my house. They said unfortunately it cant be done because our provider is Toledo Edison and they dont offer the service.:smiley_confused_vra

Glad to hear you are all set Kevin! It is the best and safest way to go. This system is simple, efficient and automatically prevents back feeds. When the power goes out just turn off all breakers, plug the cord in, fire up the generator and start flipping breakers back on.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410294010.028541.jpg forgot a pic for those curious fellers!

hammerhead

here is the email.

Unfortunately they do not allow the use of the GenerLink at this time. We strongly suggest you call the engineering department and speak to them about your interest because they are the ones who have the final say on products like the GenerLink.

Sincerely,

Jordan Bond

Account Manager
Global Power Products │225 Arnold Road │Lawrenceville, GA 30044
Phone Number: 1-800-886-3837 │ E-mail: Jordan@globalpowerproducts.com

here is the email.

Unfortunately they do not allow the use of the GenerLink at this time. We strongly suggest you call the engineering department and speak to them about your interest because they are the ones who have the final say on products like the GenerLink.

Sincerely,

Jordan Bond

Account Manager
Global Power Products 225 Arnold Road Lawrenceville, GA 30044
Phone Number: 1-800-886-3837 E-mail: Jordan@globalpowerproducts.com

Hogawash!!!

Mooosie

I have a 15 kW generac that runs on natural gas with a transfer switch never had to get the electric co involved before I got this generator I had a 6000 watt gasoline generator I would set outside the house I made a cord that plugged into the 220 outlet on the gen the other end went in the house and plugged into the dryer receptacle you have to be sure and turn off your main breaker so you don't back feed into the the electric co 'a grid it won't run a lot but it will take care of fridge and freezer gas furnace tv and a lamp

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have a 15 kW generac that runs on natural gas with a transfer switch never had to get the electric co involved before I got this generator I had a 6000 watt gasoline generator I would set outside the house I made a cord that plugged into the 220 outlet on the gen the other end went in the house and plugged into the dryer receptacle you have to be sure and turn off your main breaker so you don't back feed into the the electric co 'a grid it won't run a lot but it will take care of fridge and freezer gas furnace tv and a lamp

I would recommend everyone check this out with your local electric providers. They all have different codes/laws/rules/whatever you want to call them. Something goes wrong and you backfeed the lines on accident and you can get someone killed. I am FAR from an electrician, but I was told they were manditory in our area because shutting off the breaker isn't fool proof. My thoughts were: Not foolproof because someone else can accidently turn it back on? I don't know. Not an electrician, but I won't be responsible for getting someone hurt or killed.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong here. Just hate to see an avoidable accident happen.

Mooosie

Hickslawn you are absolutely right you have to be positive know one throws that main breaker back on in my case it was only me and my wife I was handling everything myself you certainly don't want to get someone hurt or killed

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hickslawn you are absolutely right you have to be positive know one throws that main breaker back on in my case it was only me and my wife I was handling everything myself you certainly don't want to get someone hurt or killed

Okay. Wasn't sure myself how it was possible outside of someone throwing the Main back to the ON position. It could happen. Probably why they required me to install one.