Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO 2010-2011 Daily Hunting Log

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Had a bunch of does around me before first light and I saw a ton of roosting turkeys too.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Went out this afternoon and decided to do some walking around with Dante to check on the survivors. (I'll post a few pics tomorrow when I get on a computer that has an SD reader) We kicked up 3 doe in a bottom and seen 4 other deer in a cut bean field eating and heading to the cut corn field. While we stood there next to the trucks watching them out in the field a guy drove past and turned around and came back to shoot the breeze. He is a local and said he seen 15 out in that same corn field last Friday morning. We also found out he had taken a good 12pt. off the neighboring property this fall. They are still some left walking around so we are going to hit it the last weekend and see what we can do :D.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I went out this evening for what will probably be my last bowhunt of this season. I didn't see any deer but it was a great afternoon to be up in a tree nonetheless. On a better note, I got some nice trail camera pictures from the past month, including a couple turkeys and a red fox. I was amazed to find my camera still running, still showing full battery power. This camera has been running virtually non-stop since December 2009!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The deer came in down wind nose in the air. Instead of staying on the main trail it veered off and came in right behind me. Hard quartering to in a small opening. I wanted to hit it in the crease in front of the shoulder, I ended up hitting it behind the shoulder. So I got 1 lung, solid liver, and gut. The Slick Trick came out about 6 inches in front of the rear leg but gut plugged the hole tight.

I called Tripple88 and he met me to help track... Without snow i would have lost this deer.. It went a total of about 250 yards and died on a run, never stopped or bedded.. Blood was very poor.. Drops about the size of an ant every 20 yards or so.. Sometimes a mist like from a spray bottle.. Most of the tracking was done by prints amongst prints amongst prints with every trail being checked to see if that was the deer and if it turned off.. The most we had to go off was, if this or that deer was running, track condition (froze etc) and a speck or so of blood to confirm.. Total track job was 1 hour and 250 yards.. The deer died on a dead run and was stiff when we found it 2.5 hours later

BBKilla.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
You know, I used Slick Tricks this year as well and I didn't get good blood until near the end of the track job and it was a pass through.

Thanks everyone :)

I've Never had a problem with tricks not giving good blood. They have done nothing but perform time and time again for me. I was aiming for the start of the neck / front shoulder crease.. kind of like where the indent by our collar bone is... And i was 100% confident of passing through with a bottom exit behind the sternum... Not sure what happened, might have pulled it, might have hit a branch.. But I hit farther back. This deer just had the age old issue that happens with any gut exit and every BH. The guts plugged the hole on a very high entrance shot.. And by plugged I mean there was a baseball sized lump of guts hanging out a golf ball sized hole... I had to work at it for a minute, and even cut the abdominal wall with my knife to poke them back in.

One thing i will be doing is cranking my bow back to 70lbs from 60. First deer since cranking it down.. Cost me a 20 dollar arrow.. First one i've broke in 3 years..