Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

To shoot or not to shoot

There is obviously a lot less deer in Ohio now.i live in the northeast corner of the state and deer sightings ate few and far between.i have not shot a doe since 1999 because i could see the downward spiral in my area.i say eat tag soup.its not the ODNR's responsibility to feed anyones family.i wish we would go back to a one deer state and let the herd bounce back

I totally agree with this line of thinking. And it seems odd that the Amish get blamed all the time. A lot of does have been killed by folks on this site and I don't know of any of us that are Amish. To each his own, but I always thought hunters should be conservationist TOO. Going back to a one deer per season limit, or even bucks only, with antler restrictions is the only thing that will make a change for the better.

Palmatedbuck04

I totally agree with this line of thinking. And it seems odd that the Amish get blamed all the time. A lot of does have been killed by folks on this site and I don't know of any of us that are Amish. To each his own, but I always thought hunters should be conservationist TOO. Going back to a one deer per season limit, or even bucks only, with antler restrictions is the only thing that will make a change for the better.

I wish gun season would go back to buck and doe the first day and buck the rest of the week.

Palmatedbuck04

Buck or doe? Or buck and doe? Buck or doe when I started years ago on opening day....

Either sex the first day and buck the rest of the week.id be happy if they made the limit 1 deer only per season to get the numbers back.also they could ban the cornpiles that would get the numbers up in a hurry

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
uploadfromtaptalk1452804335700.jpg

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Either sex the first day and buck the rest of the week.id be happy if they made the limit 1 deer only per season to get the numbers back.also they could ban the cornpiles that would get the numbers up in a hurry

Maybe in certain areas but some areas have more deer. Wishful thinking but sorry to say you will never see the high numbers of deer that was 6-10 yrs ago. The state got the numbers and will keep them down.

jonpgilbert2

The new game warden for of county was at are club meeting last night. He asked for are input on what we thought about deer management. Boy did I open a can of worms when I brought up the way we check deer in poachers and number of tags hahahahha it got pretty fun.

Palmatedbuck04

The new game warden for of county was at are club meeting last night. He asked for are input on what we thought about deer management. Boy did I open a can of worms when I brought up the way we check deer in poachers and number of tags hahahahha it got pretty fun.

I like the new check in system its way easier.in my county there were only a couple places to check a deer and they werent open late.so if you shot a deer in the evening and got out late you had to go in late to work the next morning because you had to check in your deer.i love the call in system.if your a poacher this system isnt gonna change anything your still gonna poach.

jonpgilbert2

Keeps the honest people honest. Poachers will be poachers. Cheaters always find a way I get that. Checking station were a great place for hunters to share stories show off there deer all around good time. Those days are gone.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Keeps the honest people honest. Poachers will be poachers. Cheaters always find a way I get that. Checking station were a great place for hunters to share stories show off there deer all around good time. Those days are gone.

Agreed.... Most of e check stations were businesses that stayed open later in our neck of the woods.... But there was an option where you could also check it in, in an adjacent county as well ....