Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Hunt for Moe: Week 3

lung buster

hocking county
Man you've got the Intel. Won't be long and its gonna be lights out for old Moe! I'm impressed with your restraint and waiting for the perfect moment. You have definitely earned your chance at that BIG MOE FOE!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am loving the buildup Jesse! I sure hope you are practicing with your bow. My only thought on the matter: Run some sprints, then pick up your bow and shoot an arrow. Go do some more sprints, then shoot one arrow. I am sure your blood is going to be pumping and this is the closest thing I can think of to match the heart rate you will feel when Moe steps into your shooting lane! It is on like Donkey Kong now brother!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Just a little perspective since Ryan Nayden asked me this last night. I have an easy 4,000+ pictures of Moe over the course of 11 months, from 8 different locations on 140 acres, to go along with nearly an hour of video footage. I have pics of him in every month but April and May. I saw him four times last year; once while checking cams, and three times while hunting. I had him at 40 yards last year and elected not to force the shot since I was still uncertain I wanted to shoot him. He walked down the creek bottom 5 minutes in front of me last year on two different occasions. This season alone, he's been on the move during shooting light while I was in the vicinity. Of all the deer I've ever hunted, this deer has given me the most complete set of intel ever...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I am loving the buildup Jesse! I sure hope you are practicing with your bow. My only thought on the matter: Run some sprints, then pick up your bow and shoot an arrow. Go do some more sprints, then shoot one arrow. I am sure your blood is going to be pumping and this is the closest thing I can think of to match the heart rate you will feel when Moe steps into your shooting lane! It is on like Donkey Kong now brother!

I do something similar to that. I shoot in the back yard and we have a good slope to my 40 and 50 yard marks. I make sure to walk that as fast as possible and put the most into each first shot. It's great training for that moment of truth. But that doesn't mean I won't be rattled to the bone! It's nice having all the video because I watch it over and over again to learn his mannerisms, not to mention study his rack. I also make a point to watch them while focusing on the kill spot the entire time. Anything I can think of that will help me, I try to do it...

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Shoot Phil, you don't know Jesse. He's like Chuck Norris in a fight; when it comes down to the moment of truth, he has ice water running through his veins. His heart rate actually slows to damn near a stop! I pity any deer that steps in front of him, so long as his shirt collar is folded down!

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
That deer is more patternable than your morning shit......He should be killable in a few days.....Go for him about Oct 22nd. That is a big deer for the south part of the state!

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Jesse, your ability to get on moe and pattern him as you have is something else. I mean 4k + pics and over 1 hr of video! That is impressive.

I can say I am trying to learn a thing or two from you and your pursuit of moe. One thing I am currently learning in your hunt for him is patience.

As others have said and as I have said before, I can't wait to see you behind moe. I envision a big grin with some nice SE OH rolling hills in the background. I don't care when this happens, but it would certainly be special with the crew that will be there next weekend!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm not the brightest bulb, but it's obvious that what I have done in October in past seasons has been largely ineffective. Patience in a virtue I've never really had, but knew I'd better get a grasp on it or I was going to live the definition of insanity. I'd be less inclined to lay back and wait had I not seen him in action last year. All I can do now is wait for the right conditions and hope a decade of futility will somehow spawn some good luck!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The wind is picking up this weekend, the weather is going to get cooler, im hearing 40's next weekend...Its on Bro!!

Yeah, it's windy as hell down here and will only get worse. I'm gonna scout a little bit tomorrow, but don't plan to hunt this weekend unless Sunday evening is a little less windy. From the looks of things, Thursday will be a great day to get out. I'm planning for that to be the start of my serious hunting for him...

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Thats a good Idea for sure, I figure next week is when I will be hitting it hard as well. It will happen for you dude, TOO many things are in place for it not to.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
The amount of pictures and video you have him is flat out amazing! I can't wait to see him on the ground!! I think your patience is going to pay off.