Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The evening of January 21st

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
And my point for chiming in on this thread is that I grew up in the same area where Zach lives and it was a big deal to see a deer there in the 70's and early 80's. Now, Tuscarawas County is one of the top counties in the state...I was just kidding about the state...dang

Too soon Mike? The hunters around the state are frustrated. While I do believe many will agree Ohio did a great job of allowing the herd to grow in the past, I think many right NOW believe it is important to prevent it from returning to the levels we had in the 60's and 70's and 80's. Then again, I am sure you are plenty aware of this. Therefore I ask, tongue in cheek, TOO soon? lmao

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Does this mean I don't really need to waste my time looking up the stats? Whew, thank gawd, its getting old.... So how did Tuscarawas become such a mecca rising from nothing Mike? Whatever it was, I'd like to implement that plan here.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
...and what was the total yearly harvest in 1995 compared to this year? And what will the hunter success ratio, (hunters a field vs deer killed) for 1995 vs 2012 be? I say this with no malice...you guys are idiots...:)

Say what you will buddy. There are far less deer and the hunting is starting to suck and a large percentage of hunters are pissed off about it. We'll see who looks like a fucking idiot in the end. I'm not the one that's been running my mouth and contradicting myself for years in news articles like some from the DNR. :) while i have no doubt the deep pockets of insurance lobbyist have a firm grip on the DNRs balls. Let's not forget that hunters in Ohio contribute almost 900 million a year to hunting related private businesses that employ over 33,000 workers.. There are those who have a vested interest that hunting in ohio remains top notch and are willing to donate towards a cause that'll root out insurance lobbyst sympathizers in the dnr. That's just the private businesses with a vested interest in seeing that happen, we're not even talking about the 500,000 deer hunters themselves. We shall see mike, we shall see. If nothing else, I'm going to have a ball. :) Go ask your buddy Steve about the last time someone told me I couldn't do something. ;)

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mike is always in the hot seat. Normally he has facts and figures on his side. This time, I think he is a little under-armed.:)

I will continue to give the benefit of doubt to Tonk because I think he's a bright guy, and Mrex vouches for his character. But, if he continues down the same "kill em all" path, I'm joining the army of Joe!

Its all part of being an idiot....:)

mrex

*Supporting member*
Does this mean I don't really need to waste my time looking up the stats? Whew, thank gawd, its getting old.... So how did Tuscarawas become such a mecca rising from nothing Mike? Whatever it was, I'd like to implement that plan here.

Pretty simple Brock, the same way the most of zone C did...habitat improvement. There were 2 major players involving the near extirpation of the whitetail deer in Ohio at the turn of the 20th century...unregulated hunting and deforestation. When it became unprofitable for the hill country small farmer to stay in business, the hills reverted back to brush, (1960's and 70's), poll size timber timber, (80's and 90's) and now big timber. The DOW deserves some credit but in some areas, the deer are there to spite them.

mrex

*Supporting member*
Say what you will buddy. There are far less deer and the hunting is starting to suck and a large percentage of hunters are pissed off about it. We'll see who looks like a fucking idiot in the end. I'm not the one that's been running my mouth and contradicting myself for years in news articles like some from the DNR. :) while i have no doubt the deep pockets of insurance lobbyist have a firm grip on the DNRs balls. Let's not forget that hunters in Ohio contribute almost 900 million a year to hunting related private businesses that employ over 33,000 workers.. There are those who have a vested interest that hunting in ohio remains top notch and are willing to donate towards a cause that'll root out insurance lobbyst sympathizers in the dnr. That's just the private businesses with a vested interest in seeing that happen, we're not even talking about the 500,000 deer hunters themselves. We shall see mike, we shall see. If nothing else, I'm going to have a ball. :) Go ask your buddy Steve about the last time someone told me I couldn't do something. ;)

I think we can all agree with that.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana

There is???... It is????... There is???.... I guess I'm an idiot... I think its gonna be funny when you go in there busting there balls and one of them would ask you if you killed any deer...lol...:smiley_chinrub:....I can hear it now, he killed a 160 inch buck and he's coming in here complaining about deer...lmao

Kaiser878

ohio
During the winter months, deer tend to "Herd up". Those 25 deer may represent a large area and will be displaced come spring, summer and fall. I believe its instinctive behavior for deer to yard up in the winter for survival reasons. Ive seen this behavior all my life and especially in Maine where deer positively have to yard up or they die.

I agree, they do yard up....although, I called my neighbor when I got back to my house to tell him I saw a shit load of deer. His response was this, "thats weird, I watched 16 deer cross from the woods into the field in front of my house at about 5 pm." Mind you, he lives less than 1/4 miles from me and his woods connects to mine. And this was about the same time I was seeing all my deer.

mrex

*Supporting member*
There is???... It is????... There is???.... I guess I'm an idiot... I think its gonna be funny when you go in there busting there balls and one of them would ask you if you killed any deer...lol...:smiley_chinrub:....I can hear it now, he killed a 160 inch buck and he's coming in here complaining about deer...lmao

...and don't be surprised if this is the new "poster child" at Fountain Square.....rotflmao

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Heck, that does serve as more proof that we are scraping the bottom of the barrel in many counties. There wasn't an adult doe left in VC, Joe shot what was available. Cudos for making what was obviously a difficult shot!

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
Heck, that does serve as more proof that we are scraping the bottom of the barrel in many counties. There wasn't an adult doe left in VC, Joe shot what was available. Cudos for making what was obviously a difficult shot!

I think he shot it right after it popped out of mommas puss... That looks like a newborn to me...lol

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
...and don't be surprised if this is the new "poster child" at Fountain Square.....rotflmao

Hahahahana make sure the caption reads

$8,000 lease in what was once the best deer county in Ohio and all we killed was a stupid button buck.". Yeah mike. That'll prove his point beautifully. lmao

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I think he shot it right after it popped out of mommas puss... That looks like a newborn to me...lol

Haha. Just about. It was a small button buck that was bedded with about 3-4 other does. I let the does go and shot the bb. First couple deer we had seen in a day of drives.