Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Team 7

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Finally helped the team out today. My buddy has been taking me out to one of his farms the last few hunts and we've had a great time casing a bird around. The 1st day we went l, the bird was gobbling really well, and flew down our way, only to get hung up after putting on a good show. He went after his hens. He seemed like an old bird with a choking gobble. The 2nd hunt, we set up closer. This time he flew down and came to within about 50 yards, I just didn't feel comfortable with a shot. He ended up breaking back over the hill to find his ladies. Today we decided we were going to try and slip a little closer, and go up above him a little bit so we could see a little further. This bird is an early riser. He had been gobbling well before daylight, and he flies down before shooting light. Well today, we heard nothing, we got in early and waited for him. After getting a little nervous, he finally let out a gobble well after his usual time. He was to our right about 75 yards roosted. Long story short, he acted wierd, and flew down away from us with his hen(s). So we backed out, and as we were leaving the road, my buddy noticed a few turkeys in a feild across the road that belonged to the same farm. So we went down to where we could park and slip in on them. They were on a long looking pasture feild with a powerline running through it.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
We slipped up the right side of the field through the woods, and after a quick scan decided to set up on them. They were over the crest of the hill on the other side, so we set the decoy and got nestled in the woods. After a few calls, the tom gobbled. Him and 2 Jakes worked our way, up the hill. The tom came up on the horizon and began strutting when he saw the decoy. He would strut, then chase the Jakes away, and repeat that. So after what seemed like an hour he meandered into range and gave me about a 35 yard shot. He put on a heck of a show for us on his way too. If was definitly a great hunt, after a long season of hiccups. I couldn't be happier.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Always like a morning like that Jake. Those are some great pics, congrats on the bird. I have not been back out, trying to wait until my mom can hunt.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Thanks Brian. Any of you fellers make it out today or plan to this weekend? I had all intentions on going after another bird today, but came down with strep throat a few days ago and I'm just trying to rest up. Good luck guys!

teej89

NE PA
Thanks Brian. Any of you fellers make it out today or plan to this weekend? I had all intentions on going after another bird today, but came down with strep throat a few days ago and I'm just trying to rest up. Good luck guys!

Damn that's beat! And no I decided I was gonna get some rest this weekend, may give it a final push next weekend but it's gonna be tough to convince myself to get outta bed at 230am lol