Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Team 10 - Silent but Deadly

Schu72

Streetsboro
Sorry team, but I think I'm calling it a year. It was frustrating at times, but all in all I had a good season. Here's a little synopsis of my last hunt.
Yesterday, I opted to sleep in, too cold and little morning movement at my spot. Just after lunch I noticed the shooter I had seen on Friday down in the bottom with a buddy. I watched for a while debating if I should make an attempt or just hope the bed close and come out to feed in the evening. I ended up throwing on some snow camo and sneaking out. By the time I got to where I thought I could cut them off the smaller buck had already passed. I was tucked against some pines weighing my options and the shooter came through but out of range. All I could do is watch through my scope. I still had hope they would bed close and come back to feed like on Friday.
Fast forward to 3 pm. I'm in the stand waiting. Finally at 4pm I see movement in the thicket the deer moved into earlier. It's a buck, but the smaller one. He worked up the hill in into some scrub where I lost sight of him. I few minutes later a doe. Then more movement. It's him. I cock the hammer and look through the scope. Too thick for a clean shot. There is still little doubt he will come my way. The doe is now walking towards me. And then it happens....I hear voices. The deer are on full alert. I'm thinking to myself "what the hell"....I'm trying to look around without moving too much. Turns out there are two kids about 100 yards above me that decide to play outside. The deer are locked on them, but I have no real shot. One of the kids goes down a small hill on a sled and hits either their driveway or the road creating a loud scraping sound and the deer scatter. I couldn't believe it. I didn't even know any kids lived there, never seen them before. anyway they played for about 45 minutes. I ended up having 12 deer come out of that woods by the end of legal shooting, but neither buck showed again. Not the way I wanted to end my season.

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Damn Scott! You gave it a solid run this year!

I just didn't have the action again this season nor the encounters with mature deer. Last year was just as difficult. After the first deer gun season I'm pretty much out of vacation and family obligations and work OT and shitty work hours limit my hunting time immensely! I think if had just 2-3 days since then when I could go! Lol

I hope to get out with my bow a few more times.

loose_is_fast

McClure
I shot another button buck today. My doe numbers are not what I would like them to me on this big farm. I saw 23 deer over the last three days and not one mature buck. All in all a good season for me. I ended up harvesting 4 deer in three counties. All were taken on different farms and I have fat and happy land owners. Time to focus on slaying geese the rest of the year. We killed 78 ducks this year and we are at 203 geese so far. The best goose hunting is in the weeks to come and should prooduce at least 75 more.