Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Target panic!!!!

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Dang - I was just joking about the sedative thing.....not something I'd actually advocate...
just goes to show you can never really have an original thought

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Well my shooting is slowly coming around. I've let loose of some baggage that was clogging up my on board targeting computer. My focus has been much better and my groups are following suit. The bad part is controlling my bow arm. I keep catching my self pulling to the left. The reason is being over-bowed due to the fact that I had been short drawing my bow for so long. I can handle the weight, but when your shoulders are sore from lifting weights my endurance doesn't last long.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
If you're pulling to the left you may be "holding" the bow instead of pushing it to the target. Just a thought.

doegirl

Great advise and I appreciate the help.

I have thought about going to the one arrow only shot. Funny because my first arrow is always my best. I had this same problem back in 2006 and that was how I worked through it.

I'll be GTG though. Even though my shots are all over the place they still easily fall inside an elk sized kill zone. :smiley_bril:
Thats what i do with my hunting recurve and longbow. If I tried to shoot a bunch of arrows, I would just tire quickly and get sloppy.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
If you're pulling to the left you may be "holding" the bow instead of pushing it to the target. Just a thought.

This seemed to help some. Thanks!!!

Last night I took my Rhinehart ball out and used it at 40 instead of my elk size kill zone target. The smaller target forced me to aim smaller and helped to pull in my shots. I only hit it three outta ten times, but most misses were with in an inch or two.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Brock, thanks the pushing the bow is helping a lot.

Tonight was a major shift. At 40 yards I was five for five in the elk kill zone. I did this three times in a row.

Screwing around I stepped back to 60 yards. I hit the target three outta five with two for sure in the kill zone. The two that missed were on glide slope, but pulled to the left and just missed the target.

BTW this time next month I'll be three days into a seven day elk hunt!!!!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Brock, thanks the pushing the bow is helping a lot.

Tonight was a major shift. At 40 yards I was five for five in the elk kill zone. I did this three times in a row.

Screwing around I stepped back to 60 yards. I hit the target three outta five with two for sure in the kill zone. The two that missed were on glide slope, but pulled to the left and just missed the target.

BTW this time next month I'll be three days into a seven day elk hunt!!!!

Glad it's working out for you Chuck. We can all use reminders once in a while. I'm sure you would have thought it through soon enough, just hoped to save you a little time.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Glad it's working out for you Chuck. We can all use reminders once in a while. I'm sure you would have thought it through soon enough, just hoped to save you a little time.

I doubt it. I was getting pretty frustrated with it. I've got another problem now; this one is physical. My left rotator cuff is not digging shooting a recurve. I'm gonnna take a day off from shooting, but man it was hurt'n yesterday. Then again that's probably because I was making it work. I gotta tell ya, I'm literally falling apart. I'll probably be like COB when I'm 50......eeek:tantrum:

two ways to practice . one is concentration . if you can not concentrate on one lil spot on the target , then dont shoot . you will just develope bad form by wondering why you aint hitting like you should be . you will start to try and change things when its just lack of concentration . the other way is to stand close . like 5 yards or less . raise your bow and draw it . then shut your eyes and think only of form .
thats what i used to do when i couldnt concentrate on a spot .

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
two ways to practice . one is concentration . if you can not concentrate on one lil spot on the target , then dont shoot . you will just develope bad form by wondering why you aint hitting like you should be . you will start to try and change things when its just lack of concentration . the other way is to stand close . like 5 yards or less . raise your bow and draw it . then shut your eyes and think only of form .
thats what i used to do when i couldnt concentrate on a spot .

I always thought you just had another beer Hoot! :smiley_bril: rotflmao

Gordo

Athens County
I just battled target panic again. Seems like its a yearly occurence for me this time of year. Its been a 10 day effort. Saw the light on wednesday night and got over the hump.

Had to destroy the muscle memory. Challenging. Now im where i should be. Such a freaky thing

Gordo

Athens County
This morning confirms that im back. Can Let that pin float over the bullseye with no anxiety to have to let her rip immediately. Been giving it a '5 one thousand' count to instill it deep in my dome.

Its once again fun to shoot

Milo

Tatonka guide.
This morning confirms that im back. Can Let that pin float over the bullseye with no anxiety to have to let her rip immediately. Been giving it a '5 one thousand' count to instill it deep in my dome.

Its once again fun to shoot

Are you shooting your stickbow much?

Gordo

Athens County
I actually picked it up to help get over the TP. I'm going to start shooting it regularly again in hopes of drawing blood this year. I want to hunt with it that muzzle loader/doe only weekend

heydeerman

I've struggled with it in the past, but not so much any more. still have some lapses, but I beat target panic. it is all about focus and control. when my mind is wandering, I put the bow away. when my back and shoulders are tired, I put the bow away. sometimes not shooting for a few days is the best medicine to avoid making it worse. one arrow practice rounds helped me a bit, too. throwing a tennis ball around the yard and shooting with a judo is a nice change of pace, too.

another thing I used to do as a sort of warm up is get up within 5-10 feet of your target and draw the bow, close your eyes and just feel your anchor, back tension, etc. and focus on solid bow arm and smooth release all with eyes shut. I'd shoot about 10 arrows like that, then back up and practice at regular distance.

That's good medicine right there. I have never had it full blown but I have had it and doing this has helped. I spent the early summer this year working on my form and I shot a lot with my eyes closed up to 35 yards. I would get to full draw, aim, then close my eyes and release. I have a bad habit of dropping my bow arm and this helped with that too.